Tuesday, August 11, 2026

Raining Diamonds

Image from Unsplash

Uranus and Neptune Are Raining Diamonds
[free verse inspired by a news article]

Gas giants made of methane,
Crushed by universal loneliness,
Turn blue and cry diamonds.
But a girl’s best friend isn’t so precious
With no one to collect the rain.
Forgotten drops of carbon
Become planetary garbage;
There’s no lapidary to cut and set,
Showing off the facets in a nest
Of black velvet with a discreet price tag;
No “surprise” starry-eyed proposal
Awaits on one knee at the beach
Documented for Instagram.
The diamonds keep falling, falling,
Far beyond our grasping fingers,
Unappreciated, inconspicuous, 
Left to eternal rest 
In a celestial treasure chest.

~*~

Lisa at dVerse asks for a "weather" poem, but she didn't specify that it had to be Earth's weather, so I thought I'd share this older poem I wrote for my book Recollections May Vary. I may have posted it on my (since deleted) WordPress blog, in which case some of you may have seen it previously.

4 comments:

  1. Paula, I love your otherworldly weather post and the idea of planets crying gems! I'm imagining myself in an orbiting shuttle and gathering them up to bring back.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting write Paula, especially now that we humans are able to manufacture diamonds too. How do we decide what something is worth? You've tickled my head bone 👍

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting. All comments will be reviewed by me before they go live. If you are anonymous, please choose a consistent handle to sign your words with. I appreciate your understanding that my comment space is not a free speech zone for personal attacks or sales pitches.