![]() |
| Shall we play a game? |
I spent a while debating whether to spell "dominoes" with the "e" or without it. I even went to Amazon to look up some games, but they were both ways, so that wasn't helpful. Do you know that dominoes come in colors now (if you prefer)? Kind of cool. I might get some... for the grandkids. I decided that I liked the "e" because it goes with potatoes and tomatoes. English is so random. The dictionary says that a domino was originally a French word for a black cape that a priest wore over his white surplice. After 1750, in both England and France, the word referred to a hooded cloak with a mask that people wore at carnivals or masquerades. I do recall this from romance novels, where all sorts of shenanigans occurred while people wore masks. The game pieces appeared around the same time in both countries.
Anyway. My parents played a lot of games with me (again, I thought this was what everyone did, but it turns out that some families never played dominoes or gin rummy or Scrabble, etc.). We liked to use a double set of dominoes to "make things interesting." I have sweet albeit fuzzy memories of playing dominoes on the floor with my mom (sometimes with my dad too) while listening to Johnny Cash records. Or the Doors or the Zorba soundtrack or Swan Lake. Very eclectic mix of music! This was when we lived in apartments in New York. After we had a house with more room, we would work on large puzzles while watching Creature Feature movies.
My mom and I also played a lot of gin rummy, Scrabble, and regular and Chinese checkers. It's hard to find peeps who like Chinese checkers, especially the way we played it with the whole board (circle) filled up. We each had three triangles of marbles to move, which caused a huge traffic jam. So fun! We played a lot of hangman, plus there was this weird game of drawing one line at a time to make squares, which you would then initial. The person who initialed the most squares won. It was a very simple game where all you needed was a pencil and a sheet of paper. What the heck is that even? Does it have a name? My dad taught me to play chess, though I never became good at it.
I still love games and regularly attend game nights with friends.

Loved this post! We are a gaming family! growing up, with my parents and 3 younger sisters, we played Balderdash, Scrabble, Sorry (when we were really young), Dominoes, Backgammon (although for the life of me i can't remember how and it's also a game hubby and I played in the winter months when the girls were little); Taboo, Racko, Password, and my parents played cards with their friends while us kids played outdoors in the summer months. Keep in mind I grew up in a church that said playing cards was a sin (thankfully my adult church does NOT believe in those odd legalistic rules) but my parents didn't care...they played cards weekly! hahah
ReplyDeleteThanks Faith! I have recently rediscovered Balderdash ~ so fun!
ReplyDeleteBefore I read your post, I would have said that my family didn't play games. Your post jogged my memory! I do remember playing Chinese Checkers! We also played Old Maid. As a young adult, I remember playing Backgammon. We also played spoons a lot! Thanks for jogging this sweet memories to the forefront! Mark has never been a game player, but we do have some dominoes and on those winter evenings where it is dark at 4:30, we often play our own version (just a simple version).
ReplyDeletePaula we played a lot of games growing up also. Cards too. Cribbage a lot at grandparents' house. My kids and I continue to play games but mostly online now. My ex and I played a lot of scrabble.
ReplyDeleteOur family played games a LOT when I was a kid -- Scrabble, Anagrams, Password, Monopoly, checkers, Sorry, Hearts, etc. My kids loved Mancala, Enchanted Forest, Chinese checkers, Taboo, Apples to Apples, Othello, Uno, Dutch Blitz, Cranium, Scattergories, and some others that I can sort of picture in my mind but can't remember the names of. Now that they're all adults it can be challenging to get everyone together, but we try to to have at least semi-frequent family game nights when we all hang out and have snacks and play whatever our current favorite game is. We all like Just One, Tellestrations, and Poetry for Neanderthals (which I learned about from you). My grandson recently introduced me to Herd Mentality, which is also fun.
ReplyDeleteBoB, Just One is great! A recent addition to our game repertoire!
ReplyDeletePaula, we played a lot of board and card games when I was growing up. Scrabble, Canasta, Clue, Solitaire, etc. I still love to play games, and play mostly online now. Mahjong and crosswords are my favorite games.
ReplyDeleteSounds like you had a great mix of music and games in your childhood!
ReplyDeleteRonel visiting from Ronel the Mythmaker
We play Mexican Train with dominoes (don't know where it got the name). It's a lot of fun.
ReplyDeleteYou know, I've never played Dominoes. Wishing you a very happy Easter.
ReplyDeleteWe used to play lots of games, scrabble, gin rummy, go fish, Yahtzee, Parcheesi....never played dominos. That is interesting it was referred to a hooded cloak... thank you for giving me the one thing new I learned today.
ReplyDeleteCheers,
Barbie
My dad and his wife have domino nights with another couple. They occasionally play Skip-Bo now. I introduced that to them after learning it at work, but that's another story.
ReplyDeleteThe game you're describing is called Dots and Boxes (although the kiddos call it Dots). I've seen teens playing it in class when they have nothing else to do, although not recently since more often than not they'd rather play video games. I might have to reintroduce this to them (on days when the lesson plan is inadequate). Fun game. Used to play it all the time.
Wait. You're in ORANGE COUNTY?!? I'm currently in Long Beach, but I grew up in Anaheim. Wow. (I just looked at your profile.)
ReplyDeleteLiz, thanks! It’s great to hear that others know this game. So simple and fun. I live in Fountain Valley ~ nice to meet you!
ReplyDeleteMy dad lives in Huntington Beach. His sister-in-law lives in Fountain Valley. I'm that way frequently.
ReplyDeleteAwesome, we should meet up! Contact me at paula.light@gmail.com if interested!
ReplyDelete