Monday, April 13, 2026

Kansas (April A2Z ~ Misty Memories)


Somewhere in California, age 16


Welcome to my April A2Z posts! This time, I am officially signed up on the challenge sheet and will be visiting other bloggers on the list. My theme is "misty memories," which will include a bunch of rambling about old stuff in my life, and hopefully some of it will be accurate, but if not, there's no one around to contradict me. Today we continue with K for Kansas.

My parents usually planned a two-week vacation every summer, and we often took a road trip. Some years we went to Ohio to visit my mother's family, but that wasn't much fun for my father since it was very small-town and rural. I liked going there because there were animals, but Dad was a city guy, and he liked to see new things and try new restaurants. There were also the issues of politics and prejudices and stuff, which I was oblivious to at the time. Now, of course, that all might bother me too. Even so, it was my mother's family, and since we saw his way more frequently, you would think he could just deal with it and not moan about how boring and terrible it all was, right?

One year, the summer I was 16 and deeply OCD, we flew to San Diego, drove up to Los Angeles, and then took a bus to San Francisco, which was admittedly a bit scary at times on the winding coast road, and my mom had massive anxiety over it. That was an ambitious vacation, and my parents argued the whole time. In my view, they fought about the dumbest things, such as how to take a photo, where to take it, how to set the camera, etc. I don't even know why my mother got involved in these disagreements, since my dad had actually been a professional photographer and still had a darkroom set up in our house for when he had time to develop pictures himself. They fought about a million other things too, and I was busy trying to figure out how little I could eat without drawing attention to myself. Anyway, we flew back from SF three days earlier than planned because everyone was so miserable.

The next year, they decided to return to the road trip format. Again, this was very involved. First, we drove down from the suburbs of Chicago to St. Louis to see the Arch. My dad thought it was way cool, but I was unimpressed. Next, the plan was to drive across Missouri and straight through Kansas to Colorado, except my mom dozed off, and my dad quit paying attention to the signs, or something, so we forked north toward Nebraska. Mom woke up and freaked out because things were not staying on schedule! My dad managed to correct course, but we were late to check into our motel, and naturally there had to be a big yell-a-thon over it. At some point, I bought several romance novels at a gift shop to read in the backseat so I could distract myself from their sniping. It was a good plan, except for the motion sickness.

Colorado was fun; we did all the usual things and bought some turquoise jewelry. Then we had to drive northeast to go see the rock faces. Again, I read until I barfed, and my parents bickered over whatever they could find to disagree about. Anything would suffice. We saw Mount Rushmore, big whoop, and finally drove through Iowa to get back home. That was a lot!

People wonder why I don't enjoy traveling like apparently everyone else on the planet does, and we can refer back to this post whenever someone needs an explanation. Besides having to deal with random migraines and disliking changes to routine, I am still traumatized from this Summertime Fight Club. (Not that they didn't argue during the rest of the year, but at least I wasn't trapped in a car with the screaming.) There were a lot of good things about my parents, and I know that overall I had an easier childhood than many, but this? This was bad.

14 comments:

  1. I love your posts because we're pretty much the same age and my family did many of the same things. Our most ambitious vacation, though, was a trip from Connecticut to the Adirondacks. Still...memories.
    Years later, when I was asked why I went into the Navy, number one reason was the travel.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can see why all that fighting would have put you off the whole concept. Parents fighting is one of the worst things for a child.

    I'm curious whether you did any traveling as an adult in spite of that -- ever been outside the US?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Al, thanks! That does sound ambitious 😳

    Infidel, I went to St. Martin on my honeymoon in 1988. Otherwise, I haven’t been outside the US, although technically Hawaii is farther than St. Martin.Traveling with my ex however was as bad as going with my parents, sadly. I enjoyed trips to Seattle and Portland with my daughter, but mostly I am a homebody 🙂

    ReplyDelete
  4. My folks never argued on road trips. Which is a good thing, because I too get carsick from reading in a moving vehicle. Sorry your trips got spoiled. Traveling America is quite awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I also don't like travel much. I am curious to see Mount Rushmore and also the Grand Canyon, but can't imagine going on a trip to see either specially, nor can I imagine why I would otherwise be in the area of either.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your Summer vacations sound awful. My parents fought all the time when we went on Summer vacation too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. We didn't travel much, but when we did it was pretty stressfree. We ids knew that if we were too rambuncious my dad would turn the car around. So we went to 2 World's Fairs and trips to cousins in Canada and Massachusetts. Mostly we stayed home though. 4 kids a year and a half apart each...we got compliments from people in restaurants ...again, we knew we could go home if we weren't on our best behavior! When we got home it was a different story! Lol!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'll never remember to log in evidently!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It sounds like your parents weren't happy together, although that just might be the stress of travelling. We didn't do too many car trips, but we did one memorable one when I was 13. We don't get what the bit whoop is when we're young.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Paula, people who don't like to travel have their reasons. I get anxious just thinking about traveling, even though there are places I really want to see.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Keera, there are definitely some cool places here left for me to see. Will I get to them? Probably not...

    Daniel, I hear you. I once thought of taking a train across the US, but I think that is better in fantasy than reality...

    Mary, it's scary for a kid to listen to that :(

    Donna, having a bunch of siblings sounds nice to this only child!

    Liz, yes, my parents argued all the time, but they stayed together... and at the end, they said they had been happy. Go figure!

    Lisa, same. Any sort of change to my routine feels stressful...

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a lovely post, Paula. And perfect timing, too - Chicago for a bit!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I hated long trips in the car when I was a little kid. They seemed to go on forever, my brothers did their best to annoy the heck out of me, it was usually hot and stuffy (these trips always took place in summer and of course there was no AC in the car), and worst of all, my dad was one of those people who thought that if he didn't need to go to the bathroom, neither did anyone else. I remember hours spent in agony with a full bladder and no hope of relief. I also couldn't read without becoming carsick, and sometimes I got carsick even thought I wasn't reading. It was definitely not fun.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Chris, thank you so much!

    Bluebird, ugh, sounds horrible!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting. All comments will be reviewed by me before they go live. If you are anonymous, please choose a consistent handle to sign your words with. I appreciate your understanding that my comment space is not a free speech zone for personal attacks or sales pitches.