Tuesday, April 14, 2026

Lobster (April A2Z ~ Misty Memories)


Random 80's pic in NY


Welcome to my April A2Z posts! This time, I am officially signed up on the challenge sheet and will be visiting other bloggers on the list. My theme is "misty memories," which will include a bunch of rambling about old stuff in my life, and hopefully some of it will be accurate, but if not, there's no one around to contradict me. Today we continue with L for Lobster.

We ate a lot of seafood when we lived on the East Coast. My parents liked this little restaurant right over the Connecticut border... in my mind it was called The Cape Cod, but I have no idea if that's the correct name. When I google it, I get The Cape Codder, a seafood restaurant in New Haven that burned down in 2014, but New Haven isn't that close to the border. Otherwise, it sounds right. Anyway, this was the first place where I had lobster ~ they had a small tail with butter that was perfect for a little kid. I loved it and ordered it there and elsewhere whenever it was available. I was never a huge fan of whole lobsters because they were so messy to deal with. My parents liked them though.

Over the years, lobster became really expensive, and I lost interest in ordering it at those prices. My ex and I did have it once in Hawaii, and it was delicious. Around 1996, we were celebrating an occasion with friends, and we all had lobster and champagne. I had a few glasses on an empty stomach before the meal and got super sick afterwards. Even though that was from the alcohol, I associated lobster with being sick and didn't want it ever again. 

Seafood generally was still in my good books. Shrimp, scallops, orange roughy, swordfish, and mahi mahi (it is not dolphin!) were and are some of my favorites. I go back and forth with tuna and salmon, though I try to eat both occasionally because they’re good for me. Sushi is also dependent on my whims: sometimes I crave it, and other times I am totally meh about it. Once I had a bad poke bowl (August 2016), and that turned me off from fish in any form for months.

A few years ago, I began seeing ads for lobster rolls. They looked so good! My daughter treated us to a lobster roll for my birthday lunch a while back, and they were wonderful. So, I am a fan again, just as I was at the beginning.

15 comments:

  1. I have to admit, I never got the appeal of lobster (or crab). I'll eat mussels and shrimp, but just about everything else not a fish I avoid. I did have delicious bacalao at work today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I grew up in Stratford, Connecticut. I remember the Cape Codder. Lobster was readily available there as it bordered Long Island Sound (as does New Haven). But........fried clams were much more prevalent and lobster was RELATIVELY expensive (not as expensive as anywhere out of New England, though). When I was in the Navy, I was stationed in Maine for eight years. Lobster was pretty much commonplace and it was cheaper than anyplace I've been (for some reason-it was a long time ago-I seem to recall that it was something like $2 a pound). In fact, lobster was so cheap that P-3 crews would fly up from the air station is Jacksonville, Florida, on what they called "lobster runs."
    Fun Fact: lobsters were once considered garbage food for the poor.
    Another Fun Fact: the McDonalds in Maine (and perhaps elsewhere in New England) had Lobster Rolls on the menu.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, that's awesome you know the restaurant! Of course, I am not sure it's that one, but even so :)

      Delete
    2. We would go to New Haven quite a bit. The city is a crime-ridden dump now, but it still has the best pizza I have ever had (even though I live in Virginia Beach now, I still go to Connecticut fairly regularly).

      Delete
  3. Nice pic of you, Paula. I've had lobster very few times, but each time it was soooooo delicious! I can't afford it now and not sure anyplace in my town even serves it. Lobster in Hawaii sounds like heaven.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like some happy memories (except for that last one). I love lobster. My favorite was a meal I had in Maine once called "Lazy man's lobster" where they had already done the work for you and you just got to dip in butter and enjoy! @samanthabwriter from
    Balancing Act

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's nice that you can enjoy lobster once again. Your post makes me want lobster so bad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I am glad too. I hope you get some lobster soon!

      Delete
  6. I've never tried lobster. Not really interested. I do like seafood, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hear ya, Liz. I am not big on trying new foods...

      Delete
  7. I grew up in Redondo Beach, California. We used to go to the Pier and get seafood cheap back in the 70's. Not anymore. I love lobster.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That must have been a cool place to grow up, Mary!

      Delete

Thanks for visiting. All comments will be reviewed by me before they go live. If you are anonymous, please choose a consistent handle to sign your words with. I appreciate your understanding that my comment space is not a free speech zone for personal attacks or sales pitches.