Thursday, April 16, 2026

Neighbors (April A2Z ~ Misty Memories)


Neighbor friend in Queens, NY


Welcome to my April A2Z posts! This time, I am officially signed up on the challenge sheet and will be visiting other bloggers on the list. My theme is "misty memories," which will include a bunch of rambling about old stuff in my life, and hopefully some of it will be accurate, but if not, there's no one around to contradict me. Today we continue with N for Neighbors.

I was born in Tarrytown, New York, and we moved to Queens soon afterward and then up to Buffalo a few years later. I have a few vague memories from Buffalo ~ more like flashes ~ though they could be wrong. My mother vacuuming and telling me about germs. Staring at earthworms with neighborhood kids after a rain. Eating Oreos at the kitchen table with a friend. Mom getting into an argument with a neighbor over Green Stamps. Mom framing a newspaper article about JFK and putting it up on the wall. Playing on the swings alone, falling off backwards, and hitting my head. 

My dad switched jobs, and we moved back to Queens. I went to kindergarten, which I barely remember, except for finger painting, which I enjoyed. The next year, we were in Tarrytown again. I don't think we had much money. My parents rented a one bedroom apartment; I used the bed, and they slept on a pull-out sofa in the living room so they could stay up later. My mom went back to work and had a mean old lady across the street babysit for me in the afternoons. In the summers, I attended a day camp, which I hated because it was full of sporty activities and kids who didn't like me because I was so unathletic. In school, the other kids mocked me for the same reason. 

We were in Tarrytown for two years, and then back to Queens we returned, where I went to third grade. This apartment building was fun, with neighbors from a bunch of different countries, and I actually enjoyed the socializing. I had a Japanese friend (a few years older) who taught me origami. An Indian neighbor taught my mom how to make chai. We were invited to a feast at the Trinidad neighbors' place where we sat on pillows on the floor. The Filipino neighbors had a party, and they played one 45 on repeat: "Sugar, Sugar." I had an alcoholic drink there, with my parents, when I was 9 years old. Times were definitely different!

The next year, my parents bought a house on Long Island with my father's parents. My grandmother hated it ~ she said she was "living in the basement." (It was one of those bi-level houses intended for two families.) I understand now that she was prone to depression, and moving away from the familiar triggered an episode. She could no longer walk to stores and had to wait for someone to drive her (she didn’t drive). She missed her friends. My grandpa got a part-time job and wasn’t around as much. I can see how this would be upsetting. The end came when she was mugged while walking with my grandpa. All those years she lived in the city and no muggings, but out in the 'burbs, bam, victim of a crime. We sold the house so she could go back to Queens. 

There were things I liked about living on Long Island, such as watching TV with Grandma in the "basement." We both loved The Brady Bunch. But I had a terrible time of it in fourth grade, made actual enemies of other kids, and was completely isolated from my peers. For a while things were OK in the friend department, and I did bead crafts with some girls on my block, but I think they were just using me because I had better beads and was willing to share. My misty memory is that one of these girls pushed me into the street when a car was coming, and I got so mad I threw a Coke bottle at her. Of all the times to have good aim, right? I think I hurt her, not sure, and after that no one in the neighborhood would talk to me. 

When my parents announced that we were moving to Middletown, New Jersey, I figured it had to be better than being the ostracized girl. Mostly it was... and I got a puppy too. The great thing about our NJ house was the big backyard with a weeping willow tree and an actual little creek. It was such a wonderful place to play, and I managed to make some neighbor friends who enjoyed make-believe and board games and crafts. We played a lot of badminton and ping pong. We even played baseball! It turned out I wasn't bad at everything athletic. I became good friends with two girls, for a couple years anyway. By seventh grade, they always wanted to hang out with the neighborhood boys, and I didn’t.

I already wrote about our move from New Jersey to Illinois, so I will link back to that if anyone is still reading along. I also wrote about our move from Chicago to California, but that wasn't part of the A2Z challenge.

We have made it past the halfway mark of the 2026 challenge. Hang in there, fellow A2Z-ers. You’re all doing great!

23 comments:

  1. Growing up, the only time I saw Long Island was when I gazed at it from a beach in Connecticut. It seemed like such a foreign place to me. Then, I joined the Navy and Long Island just seemed like any other place. But, with much more traffic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I had seen more of the East when I lived there, such as Boston and the Rev War tributes. I would have loved to visit Maine where Stephen King sets most of his stories. Of course, I didn't know I would be a King fan then :)

      Delete
    2. Boston is my favorite city (even though I'm a Yankees fan!). Maine is absolutely gorgeous! Fun Fact: the realtor who sold us our house in Lisbon Falls went to high school with Stephen King. Not surprisingly, she said he was weird. But.....he is my favorite author (who has written about his experiences in Stratford, Connecticut-where I grew up).

      Delete
  2. That was a lot of moving. I'm impressed you can keep the neighbors and friends at the various locations straight. To me it would just be a fog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, it's mostly a fog. I only remember a few bits & pieces :)

      Delete
  3. i find the story interesting, i also moved a lot during my school days, different places, different rented houses and very few friends.

    https://obliqview.blogspot.com/2026/04/nine-nine-little-birds-were-sitting-on.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing your memories. Moving was such a pain at times when you're younger but sometimes it's a good thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes it is good, like when I moved to my current place. I hope I never have to move again though...

      Delete
  5. My family was the opposite of yours -- my parents built a house shortly after they were married and stayed there forever, until death did them part. As a child, whenever I was unhappy -- which was often -- I envied kids whose families moved to other places, I guess on the naive assumption that any change had to be for the better. I don't think it occurred to me then that a move could make matters worse!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's easy to think that others have it better...

      Delete
  6. I was fortunate - I was born in Queens but my parents moved to The Bronx when I was five months old, and I l lived in the same apartment building (two different apartments) until I was 21. I wasn't bounced around from New York City to Tarrytown to Long Island and back and forth. Not sure how I would have coped with it. I also had problems at day camp because I wasn't athletic. Children can be so mean, and it's sad that you had some of these experiences.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Alana. I guess I got used to it all, as one does, but I do think it left some emotional scars...

      Delete
  7. For folks who aren't from NYC - the geography of the city is rather confusing. You know, and I know, that Queens and Brooklyn are on Long Island. And when Ny'ers refer to "the Island" they mean Nassau and Suffolk counties. So my curiosity is piqued - where in Queens? Where on 'the Island"?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OK, so I may not be saying it right. What I call Queens were the numbered streets (187th comes to mind for my grandparents) and I think a subset called "Flushing?" That was where we lived twice on Barclay Avenue. When I say Long Island, I mean East Meadow. Sorry for being confusing!

      Delete
    2. You're saying it right. Flushing is indeed in Queens - Home to the 1964 Worlds Fair, Shea Stadium, Flushing Meadow Park. It is predominately Korean nowadays. Barclay Avenue is Flushing. East Meadow is Nassau County. Queens is the largest borough of NYC, area-wise. My father moved us from The Bronx to Queens when I was 8. We lived in Eastern Queens - all single family homes - considered the suburbs back in the 1950's when we moved there. and a fair distance from Flushing - took a bus and 2 trains to get from where I lived to Flushing LOL I was just interested as to the specific locations - I've come across very few people who were from my part of Queens. And that your family went from Tarrytown to Queens is like my father taking us from the Bronx to Queens. I left NYC when I was 44 and since then I have lived in so many places I've lost count.

      Delete
  8. Wow, you moved around a lot, Paula. I was born and raised in Orlando, Fl, and I didn't move from my childhood home, except for college, and when I got married. After my divorce, I moved more times than I count on both hands. I always wanted to live near mountains, since I had my fill of sunny beaches. In 2012, my employer transferred me and my family to Atlanta, which is where we are living now. I love it here because there are seasons.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love hearing about mountains ~ sometimes they seem more suited for poetry than beaches :)

      Delete
  9. You moved around a lot. I was maybe 2 when we moved into the house in Anaheim where I grew up. I was 26, I think, when Mom sold the place. So, I went to elementary school, junior high, and high school with the same group. Some friends. Some enemies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do envy people with lifelong friends, Liz. I have a couple from high school, but we barely contact each other...

      Delete
  10. the coke bottle thing is great...i'm old school, though lol. i think sometimes the best way to deal with bullies is to give them a punch to the face...i know now all the schools have no violence policies and that's probably best, but now bullies run rampant with no consequences. i tackled a boy who bullied me to the ground once and i sat on him and proceeded to fill his shirt with snow.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting. All comments will be reviewed by me before they go live. If you are anonymous, please choose a consistent handle to sign your words with. I appreciate your understanding that my comment space is not a free speech zone for personal attacks or sales pitches.