| My mom, my daughters, and me, around 1996 |
Welcome to my April A2Z posts! This time, I am officially signed up on the challenge sheet and will be visiting other bloggers on the list. My theme is "misty memories," which will include a bunch of rambling about old stuff in my life, and hopefully some of it will be accurate, but if not, there's no one around to contradict me. Today we continue with Y for Yellow on the penultimate day of the challenge!
Fast-forward to (a) California and (b) motherhood. I discovered leggings... in a rainbow of colors! It was fun to match with my girls sometimes, and also I began a hobby of painting tee shirts. For a while, I thought I could turn it into a business, but it would have been like Lucy's salad dressing, if you know what I mean (supplies costing more than the product price). Luckily, before that happened, I ended up with carpal tunnel syndrome from painting all day because I became a wee bit obsessed. Anyway, it was fun for several months, and we all ended up with a bunch of unique shirts in vivid colors. Even my mom got into the act.
The main takeaway here is that I discovered I loved all the colors, especially lime green, hot pink, and sunflower yellow. I even did my kitchen over in a sunflower theme because they were so cheerful and pretty. As the 1990s came to a close, and I started working at a law office, my daughters convinced me that perhaps it was time to retire the lime green leggings and hot pink tees. (Not to mention all the boots and shoes in kooky colors.) That made sense at the time. I rediscovered blue and brown, added in black and beige, a smidge of cheetah, and that was my admin “uniform.”
Sometimes I sneak in a pop of yellow or pink to liven things up though. And on weekends, anything goes!
It's too bad that bright colors seem to have been in retreat for decades now. Look at the typical colors of, say, cars sixty years ago compared to now. The same seems to have happened with clothes, building interiors, and so many other things. Everything is more neutral, muted, and dull. Glad you're part of the color resistance movement, even if just at home.
ReplyDeleteRemember the colors of the 60s and 70s? Perhaps not.
DeleteRemember seeing pictures of the colors of the 60s and 70s?
So true… I even have a beige car. Sigh…
DeleteI absolutely love yellow! Every place I've lived for the past 20 years was painted butter cream - a lovely warm, light yellow which goes so well with all my orange, teal, red and purple furniture, accessories and whatnot. I tell folks my decorating style is Ringling Brothers!
ReplyDeleteThat sounds super fun!
DeleteLight colors are so much fun! Although my favorite is blue and my wife's is purple.
ReplyDeleteI still love blue 💙
DeleteHow fun. I bet you loved those shirts. I never made shirts but I did make some wreaths. And I sold a few but the supplies cost more than what I was selling them for so I stopped. Just made some for myself.
ReplyDeleteYep, that would have been my issue too had I continued! We did enjoy the shirts 🙂
DeleteDifferent colors have their places. I think we enjoy color and then we need a break from it so we go back to neutrals.
ReplyDeleteNeutrals are nice for a base, and then… splash!
DeleteLovely family photo, Paula. I've never been good at matching colors or picking the right clothes. I need my own personal fashion consultant. Until then, jeans and t-shirts. I used to have to wear business clothes for my years with office work. I *hated* it and it's one of the things keeping me going back to work.
ReplyDeleteThank you so much, Lisa! I’m already in comfy clothes retirement mode, haha
DeleteI really like yellow. I yellow sundress on a summer day makes me happy.
ReplyDeleteI absolutely prefer color to monotone drabs!! Like you, I preferred blues and greens to reds and pinks as a girl. Sometime in college I discovered bright green and since then green in any shade has been my favorite. My mom always cautioned me that I looked seasick in yellow so have just begun wearing a little of it now that I am 68 and Mom is no longer of this world. Glad you have fun with your clothes on weekends.
ReplyDelete