Sunday, June 14, 2026

Don’t You Want Me

Walking on Sunshine movie promo



I’m participating in Jim Adams’ Song Lyric Sunday today, and he asks for a song about depending on, relying on, leaning on, and/ or trusting another person. One of my favorite musical movies is Walking on Sunshine (2014), in which dependence is a major theme. Taylor, the main character, is scared of trusting anyone or depending upon anyone but herself, so she abandons her love and devotes herself solely to getting a degree. In contrast, Taylor's sister Maddie flings herself from one man to another because she's afraid of being alone. She admits that she's "in love with love." As the story opens at an Italian beachside resort, Maddie is about to be married and goes to the market where she runs into an ex-boyfriend, Doug. We discover that Doug chases after Maddie whenever she drifts away from him ~ he believes she "owes" him because he helped her way back when. Maddie and Doug sing "Don't You Want Me" from the Human League (1981).

You were working as a waitress in a cocktail bar
When I met you
I picked you out, I shook up and turned you around
Turned you into someone new
Now five years later on, you've got the world at your feet
Success has been so easy for you
But don't forget, it's me who put you where you are now
And I can put you back down too

Maddie agrees that Doug was good to her once upon a time and that she depended upon him, but now she must live life independently, not that she's really doing that, seeing as she jumped into a new relationship/ engagement immediately after leaving Doug.

I was working as a waitress in a cocktail bar
That much is true
But even then, I knew I'd find a much better place
Either with or without you
The five years we have had have been such good times
I still love you
But now, I think it's time I live my life on my own
I guess it's just what I must do

Doug stalks Maddie back to the villa where she's staying with Taylor and a family friend. The viewer can tell that Maddie is a bit ambivalent about Doug at this point, but she tries to be strong and get rid of him. For his part, Doug can't believe she's really rejecting him, since she always gave in before.

Don't, don't you want me?
You know I can't believe it when I hear that you won't see me
Don't, don't you want me?
You know I don't believe you
When you say that you don't need me
It's much too late to find
You think you've changed your mind
You'd better change it back, or we will both be sorry

The movie concludes with both sisters realizing that they want to change their behavior. Maddie truly does need to be on her own for a while and learn to rely upon herself, and Taylor decides she is ready to open her heart up to trust in love, even though that means she'll be vulnerable to getting hurt.

"Don't You Want Me" was written by: Franne Golde, Jody V. Watley, and David Paul Bryant. You can listen to the movie version here.

12 comments:

  1. I've never seen this movie; I wasn't even aware of it so you'll forgive me when I say the original version of this fantastic song by the Human League is the only one for me. Great. song choice, Paula.

    ReplyDelete
  2. An absolute classic

    ReplyDelete
  3. I never watched the movie, Paula but I always liked the song. Thanks for explaining the plot and for joining in again.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Huh. I was expecting Katarina and the Waves' "Walking on Sunshine". Nice movie review!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great choice of song , I really loved the Human league... you made me think about the Lyrics... brilliant 😊😊😊

    ReplyDelete
  6. Not familiar with the movie but will check it out. Love the song, though.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've heard this song before. The cover in the movie is good and comes to life between the 2 actors. The guy singer is a hottie! Whew!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting. All comments will be reviewed by me before they go live. If you are anonymous, please choose a consistent handle to sign your words with. I appreciate your understanding that my comment space is not a free speech zone for personal attacks or sales pitches.