Wednesday, June 3, 2026

Happy Birthday to My Mom

My mom's engagement photo, 1957

 

Miss You [haibun]

The grey days of winter crash and foam, one much like another. Memories sprout like tender green buds under a warm yellow sun. You thrived in spring, with your hands in the dirt, coaxing forth a rainbow of blossoms.

Anniversaries pass, faster and faster. It’s been 15 years since we went to the fair and even longer since we did a puzzle, played a game, learned a new craft. You never had the chance to meet your great-grands, but I know you would love them. As I near the age you were, time unspools into the past, and the good times shine like diamonds in my mind.

These empty blue rooms
Echo my silent crying
I miss you Mommy

~*~

This poem appears in my forms scrapbook Odds and Ends. It's now been 19 years since we went to the fair.

8 comments:

  1. The feeling of loss never ends, does it? You learn to live with it, but it's always there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A beautiful eulogy! And you look like you have your mother's beautiful smile.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a very nice tribute to her.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very pretty woman. My mother was also engaged in 1957.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting. All comments will be reviewed by me before they go live. If you are anonymous, please choose a consistent handle to sign your words with. I appreciate your understanding that my comment space is not a free speech zone for personal attacks or sales pitches.