Thursday, June 11, 2026

Snacks, Shrek, Smoking

Inky waiting for a snack

I’m participating in Kymber’s Get to Know You today, perhaps for the first time, or at least for the first time on this blog. 

1. You see your face on a Wanted poster. What did you do?

Gave my cat her snack 15 minutes late!

2. Which protagonist from a book or movie would make the worst roommate?

Oh gosh, so many! Shrek, the swamp ogre, would be a messy, smelly roommate. It would be hard to sleep at night if Hannibal Lecter lived in my house. I wouldn’t want to be roomies with Norman Bates either!

3. What was cool when you were young but isn’t cool now?

Again, many things. The first thing that pops into mind is smoking cigarettes. Very cool, way back when. I smoked for a couple years in my late teens, off and on. It was cool for littles to laze around on Saturday mornings watching silly cartoons and eating sugary cereal with no scheduled sporting or other events. It was cool for parents to give their kids a little bit of wine on special occasions. It was cool for adults to have an alcoholic drink or two at a business lunch. 

Idk if it was “cool,” but it was fine and normal to ride a bike alone for hours with no way to contact anyone. Parents might leave kids alone in the car with the windows down while they were doing errands. We didn’t always wear seatbelts. Some of us hitchhiked occasionally and picked up hitchhikers too. Being a latchkey kid was common (coming home to an empty house because both parents worked), and I was one of them. 

Now we get to the part where I declare that everything was better back when we had more "freedom" and were untethered to phones. Nah. I don't think everything was better. Smoking certainly wasn't. It wasn't better not to have a cell phone in an emergency. Hitchhiking/ picking up hitchhikers was crazy stupid. I'm just lucky that nothing really bad ever happened to me ~ others weren't as lucky. There were plenty of bad things about life in the 1960s and 1970s... and we won't even talk about the 80s. All that big hair. Gah!

9 comments:

  1. I love your answers!

    Heaven forbid the cat snack come 15 mins late! lol

    And those roommates are pure nightmare territory, for sure!

    All the things you listed bring back such memories. I was of the big hair era. LOLOLOL

    Thank you so much for playing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hannibal Lecter chose his victims from those who were rude to him. Or mean-spirited. If he got along with his roommate, he was probably a lovely companion. Clean. Polite. Kept to himself. I mean, creepy, of course, but before anyone knew who he was...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your answers and also picked smoking for number 3. And I can see how you'd be a wanted woman if the cat's snacks are late. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your answer to the wanted poster is too funny.
    Yes to all that you described from our childhoods. We would be gone all day and no one cared. lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true. Even my mom, who could be a little neurotic, was totally fine with me going off on my own all day...

      Delete
  5. Cats are pretty maniacal about wanting their snacks NOW! That made me smile.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting. All comments will be reviewed by me before they go live. If you are anonymous, please choose a consistent handle to sign your words with. I appreciate your understanding that my comment space is not a free speech zone for personal attacks or sales pitches.