Tuesday, June 30, 2026

Tanka Tuesday: Make Mine a Double

Pocket watch on the beach (AI image)



Forgotten moments 
Wash up on the shore of dreams
Blurry memories 
Battered by the changing tides
Unstable as sand castles 

No one knows the truth 
Even photographs can lie
Mona Lisa smiles 
Stories shift with retelling 
The foundation slides away 

~*~

Double tanka written for Tanka Tuesday Challenge #71 hosted by Willow and inspired by a recent death in my family.

7 comments:

  1. That was pretty but seemed kinda sad too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very true. Memories can be uncertain, especially as time passes. And these days it's easier than ever to lie with pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Poignant! I wish memory wasn't so fickle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. It’s weird being the only child with parents gone and no others to confirm memories before my kids were born. I have no one to ask about events or other relatives and can only rely on myself and hazy photos. Eek!

      Delete
    2. You and me both. My mother is still around, but I moved so much in childhood, also between countries and families. Connections and photo albums tend to get lost.

      Delete

Thanks for visiting. All comments will be reviewed by me before they go live. If you are anonymous, please choose a consistent handle to sign your words with. I appreciate your understanding that my comment space is not a free speech zone for personal attacks or sales pitches.