![]() |
| On the way to Oakland Airport, November 2021 |
Collage of sunsets
This photo is the last one I took in the Bay Area. I used to visit every couple months to see my daughters before they moved back down to SoCal. When my youngest first started at UCB (her sister joined her in Berkeley later when she got a job in the area), I made the 7-8 hour drive alone, until that fateful day when my car overheated on July 4, 2013. I managed to find an open service station, and they did a temporary fix, but I could no longer use the air conditioning. By the time the temperature reading hit 108, I figured I was going to die. I left the freeway and stopped at a Jack in the Box. Then I called my girls to tell them I loved them and to say goodbye. They told me to quit being such a drama-llama and get the JitB’s address so they could pick me up. Turns out that many people don’t actually know the address of where they work! Wtf? They found a manager who knew, and my girls came to rescue me. I rode to Berkeley in an AC’d car with my eldest, while my youngest drove the hot box. On the return trip, I took Highway 1 (PCH) due to it being cooler, but that took over 10 hours.
Reader: that was the last time I drove to the Bay!*
Flying isn’t my favorite thing, but I did it from 2013 to 2022, in order to see one or both girls. My youngest moved to Los Angeles in 2016, and my eldest relocated to San Diego County in 2022. I am sort of in the middle now here in Orange County, which suits me fine. There are a lot of good things up in NorCal, but as I have said before… I am a homebody and prefer to stay local.
~*~
Inspired by Jill’s Haiku Fridays.
*Edited to add that I did drive to the Bay Area in 2020 for Thanksgiving, as we were all still freaked out about Covid, and I wasn’t going to deal with strangers in the airport or on a plane. Newer car, no issues.

I enjoyed your trip down memory lane. I would’ve responded the same and my children would have been like your daughters. Suffice it to say you’re in good company. Haha. That drive on Highway 1 is magical to me. Thanks for joining in today. ~ Jill
ReplyDeleteMy pleasure 🙂
DeletePaula this is beautiful as is your photo 🥰
ReplyDeleteThank you so much, Ange!
DeleteI've only been to NorCal a few times. I bet you got very used to that drive up. Yeah, flying's better. Easier with your daughters an hour north and two hours south? Roughly?
ReplyDeleteJust about! Depending on the 405, of course, lol
DeleteGorgeous sunset and photo! Stressful trip, but glad the JitB was close enough for you to get picked up. It's weird what people don't know. I know way too many car owners who don't know their own license plate, for example.
ReplyDeleteIKR? That's so weird to me, but then again a lot of people know things I don't!
DeleteI am bad at remembering the full address of where I work...
ReplyDeleteI have never been to California, although E grew up there.