![]() |
| Mysterious doorway image created by AI |
It wasn’t supposed to be like this. Of course I knew it would happen sooner or later, but I wanted something dramatic and spectacular, as would befit my superior status, not this slow, insignificant fade. I had always been vastly different from other humans and possessed an extraordinarily towering intellect, which generated heightened emotional responses to common situations. My giftedness had been a source of envy to many, and occasionally that resentment escalated to where I had been targeted, harassed, or shunned simply for being me.
Nothing had changed at the end. People were too awed by my dominance to even bother visiting me, much less pay me the deference to which I was due. Obviously I had deserved a much greater degree of success than had been bestowed by the universe, but even the alleged higher beings failed to recognize my greatness! As far as the lower beings, I magnanimously forgave them for their lack of appreciation, for they were much too ignorant to even begin to comprehend my complex nature. Naturally, I would punch them in the face if I had the chance again.
Anyway. Enough dillydallying. It was time to go, and I wasn’t sure why I hesitated at this late date, as I would certainly not miss this wretched place nor any of these lesser creatures.
The door was closed, and as I put my hand on the doorknob, I felt afraid of what I might find on the other side.
~*~
Written for Fandango’s Story Starter 252 (this time as an ending) and inspired by recent events.

I suspect this person is vastly superior at only one thing -- believing he's vastly superior. Maybe he's afraid that on the other side Charon will know he's just an ordinary schmuck and might even charge him an extra coin for being a stuck-up jackass.
ReplyDeleteHah! I wouldn’t be surprised!
DeleteWow, Paula, I am pleased that my story starter — or in this case, story ender — prompt inspired you. Thanks. And as to your narrator, what’s piece of work he is. He reminds me of someone. Hmm.
ReplyDeleteNarcissists are the same whether famous or not 🙂
DeleteWe kinda don't want this person to find happiness on the other side. Is that terrible of me to say?
ReplyDeleteNope! Plus it’s fiction, sort of 🙂
Delete