Friday, July 24, 2026

An Incomplete List of Loves

Mom, daughter, me, daughter, 1993


These I have loved...

My mother’s very slight country-twanged voice;
My father pestering me to read Joyce;
Creating Spirograph patterns for hours;
The blissfulness of steamy hot showers;
Playing Battleship and Clue with my friends
And Pink Panther cartoons on the weekends.
Visiting the zoo to check out the snakes;
New pink erasers waiting for mistakes;
Frosting a cake with swirls of buttercream;
Discovering Bobby’s death was a dream;
Romance novels full of intrigue and spice;
Sushi made with avocado and rice;
Apple and cinnamon scents of the fall;
James Bond adventures that held me in thrall;
Warm fluffy towels straight out of the dryer;
Melted marshmallows crisp-blackened in fire;
Soft little mews waking me from a nap;
Kitties who purr while curled up in my lap;
Wriggling my toes in a new pair of boots;
Countertop bowl full of fresh summer fruits:
Peaches and mangoes and cherries galore;
And sunbeams gleaming upon a wood floor.
Knickknacks set at right angles so neatly;
(Secrets stashed in my posts quite discreetly);
Nixing my past from the Wayback Machine;
Keeping my conscience and kitchen pristine;
My OCD may take weird contortions —
Counting spaghetti, measuring portions.
My grandmother did, so what can I say?
I love that I get to blame DNA.
More than these I love my daughters and grands,
While sadly aware of decreasing sands.

All these have been my loves.

~*~

Written for dVerse Poets Pub. The inspirational poem is “The Great Lover” by Rupert Brooks, which was written in rhyming couplets, so that’s how I wrote mine (except for the required first and last lines), even though I know that rhyming is out of style. 

14 comments:

  1. I enjoyed that! Well done! And I'm now singing "These are a few of my favorite things". Because inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I am looking forward to yours! 😀

      Delete
  2. "Secrets stashed in my posts quite discreetly" Do talk! LOL. - N

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehe, usually my fiction is more revealing, shhhh!

      Delete
  3. Wow, brilliant list
    Thanks for dropping by my blog, Paula

    Much love

    ReplyDelete
  4. Paula, your list is long and lovely .. I feel as though I've known you for decades. Brava ~ Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that you put your ‘mother’s very slight country-twanged voice’ and your father pestering you to read Joyce at the top of your list Paula. I used to create Spirograph patterns for hours too – now I enjoy mindfulness colouring. This is such a comprehensive list, and I like the rhyming couplets. I especially enjoyed the appeals to smell and taste: the cake with swirls of buttercream; sushi made with avocado and rice; apple and cinnamon scents; and delicious ‘peaches and mangoes and cherries galore’.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love that you chose rhyming couplets for your most excellent list, Paula, - favourite lines
    "My OCD may take weird contortions —
    Counting spaghetti, measuring portions.
    My grandmother did, so what can I say?
    I love that I get to blame DNA."

    ReplyDelete
  7. I actually love this a lot, the childhood and then the part about blaming DNA... as someone diagnosed with something, not OCD but something else, I was actually like: AHA, I too can blame DNA...

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting. All comments will be reviewed by me before they go live. If you are anonymous, please choose a consistent handle to sign your words with. I appreciate your understanding that my comment space is not a free speech zone for personal attacks or sales pitches.