Wednesday, July 15, 2026

The Milky Way Bar

Space candy via Meta AI


Look through any window 
Past your own reflection—
Contemplate the endless night.
Note the comforting moon.
Stars come into focus.
Constellations form their patterns:
We give names to the shapes;
Our minds fill in the blanks.
They’ve discovered sugar in space—
The building blocks of life!
Did sugar come from Earth
Or did it float on “down” to us
Like sprinkles from a cake?
Either way it’s so nice
To know the universe is sweet.
You can close the window,
Walk away from the night,
And create your own confection.

~*~

20 comments:

  1. That sweetness -- like manna and dental bills fallen from Heaven. Good to hear the taste is universal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is amazing how we manage to fill in the blanks for those constellations

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It truly is. I can’t imagine being the first person to say hey that’s a crab!

      Delete
  3. Z
    Sugar in space, that's amazibg poetry
    Thanks for dropping by my blog, Paula

    Much love

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, looking through an open window to contemplate the universe does open many doors of mystery.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You've created one for us, Paula, a "confection" that is. I love your opening, the imperative voice alluring us to "look past your own reflection" to enter the realm of mystery, a sweet one at that amid the swirl of question and answer. That it leads to one's own creations ("confections") after taking inspiration from the stars is sweet indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love a bit of science wrapped up in a poem, Paula...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh me too! Thanks for reading and commenting!

      Delete
  7. A lovely poem about the night sky. Nicely done.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I got a new computer with a new browser and lost all of my old bookmarks in the change. Finally found you! I hope I can see the comforting moon through the wildfire smoke we have hanging over the northeast! Love the poem.

    ReplyDelete
  9. BTW, that last comment was me (Nat). LOL.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Nat! Glad you (re) found me! Stay safe ❤️

      Delete
  10. Your closing lines gave me such a big grin! <3

    ReplyDelete
  11. I saw the headline about sugar in space but haven't read further. Is it granulated?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting. All comments will be reviewed by me before they go live. If you are anonymous, please choose a consistent handle to sign your words with. I appreciate your understanding that my comment space is not a free speech zone for personal attacks or sales pitches.