Sunday, July 26, 2026

Tiger Striped Hodgepodge

Meta AI created image of "tiger fudge"


Happy last week of July! I am participating in Joyce's Hodgepodge again this week by answering the following questions.

1. What was the last thing you celebrated? 

We celebrated a friend's birthday with a Friday dinner at BJ's and seeing The Odyssey. I enjoyed the film but it was very loud, very long, and very violent. I wore earplugs the whole time, which someone told me to do, and I definitely appreciated that advice. Saturday the party continued at the Orange County Fair where we attended the fabulous (and glittery) combo cover band concert of Kenny Metcalf as Elton John and ABBA LA. Very fun! I wandered around the fair for a couple hours, mostly staying indoors to see the exhibits because I enjoy them and also because the weather has been extremely hot and humid here. Sunday (today) my family got together for a pool party and to celebrate (a bit belatedly) my grandson's birthday. He seemed happy with the FIFA themed foosball tabletop game I gave to him.

2 July 29th is International Day of the Tiger. Besides the wild animal itself, when you hear the word tiger what's the first  person-place-thing-whatever that comes to mind? 

Tiger fudge. This ridiculously delicious treat is made with melted milk chocolate chips, melted white chocolate chips, and heated peanut butter. You pour each layer in a pan separately and then swirl a knife through the whole thing to make it stripey. Refrigerate it until completely cold and then cut it into little squares. Meta AI didn't know what tiger fudge was, but after I described it, I ended up with the above pic, which I think is adorable.

3. The expression 'eye of the tiger' describes someone with intense focus, determination, and the drive to succeed. What area of your life are you currently bringing that kind of energy to?  

I don't have this level of focus and determination any longer. I prefer to do things at a moderate pace, probably because when I was focused and determined, it didn't lead to the success I wanted, so why not enjoy life a bit more? For example, I no longer force myself to get up at 4AM and write for three hours before work. That didn't lead to publishing success, so I might as well get more sleep.

4. What was the last meal you cooked? 

Hahaha. I don't cook for one person (myself), except for the simplest things like an occasional omelet. It's too hot to cook now anyway, and I prefer salads and fruit bowls with yogurt or cottage cheese.

5. Describe your July using exactly five words. 

Hot, humid, exercising, reading, blogging.

6. Insert your own random thought here. 

I had over 3000 views on this blog yesterday, which is disturbing, since I know they're almost all bots. What do they want from me? I think the massive view numbers began when I did April A2Z this past April, and they've been rising steadily. Before that, I hardly had any visitors, so the bots must scrape blog addresses from public lists, such as A2Z.

19 comments:

  1. What on Earth is the point of turning up the volume in a theater so loud that people need to wear ear plugs? I hardly go to theaters any more because they provide such a terrible experience. I'd rather just wait until the movie comes out on DVD.

    I live near one of the suburbs of Portland which is called "Tigard" and people from outside the area sometimes aren't sure how to pronounce it, so I tell them it's just like "tiger" (the animal) with a D added at the end. So that's what tends to come to mind now when I hear "tiger".

    Those bots are almost certainly "AI" bots scraping (stealing) your writing to add to their database. Three thousand in a day is unusual, but you post more often than most bloggers, so they may be learning to come here more often. It's annoying and it's theft of intellectual property, but it's not doing any actual damage.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't get it. So many people have been complaining that the volume is simply painful now. Why are they doing this?!

      Delete
  2. The only thing I think of when I hear "Eye of the Tiger" is the Survivor song and Rocky. I no longer go to the movies. The sound issue is one reason. I've read that modern sound recording has made voices soft which makes everything else too loud. So maybe go back to single microphones, dear movie industry?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, right? My TV has a sound setting to balance the spoken words and the background sound/music, but that's not available in a theater setting. It's annoying! - N

      Delete
    2. I wish we could adjust our own like on a plane!

      Delete
  3. "I had over 3000 views on this blog yesterday, which is disturbing, since I know they're almost all bots." Yep, bots scraping for info and it's getting old. The genealogy site I contribute to has login issues when the bots are scraping and it's annoying AF! Well, at least one view was human (me). - N

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't been to the fair this year. I usually would go with my dad, but he hasn't been feeling up to it lately. I do love the fiber arts building. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you get to go! There are so many fab craft exhibits!

      Delete
  5. Bringing earplugs to the theater is a good idea (sadly, I mean, WHY have the volume so loud??). I will probably pass on the movie (there's something vaguely (/pitifully, perhaps) appealing about not engaging in a popular culture activity (such a rebel I am!). I have been having huge numbers of views on my blog recently as well. It really does stink that bots are scraping (I'd never heard that term before) blogs to use the writing therein.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maria, I probably wouldn’t have seen this movie in a theater except for the fact that my friends wanted to. I don’t really enjoy so much violence… and now there’s the loudness factor to consider. However, I did think that Matt Damon’s performance was excellent! Anne Hathaway’s too. Not sure what the scrapers are going to use my silly posts for… maybe to warn people to bring earplugs to movies!

      Delete
  6. I have heard good things about The Odyssey but have heard it's loud and long. What a great celebration for your friends birthday!
    That Tiger fudge sounds amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is, and it’s so easy to make!

      Delete
  7. I agree about the Odyssey being a very long movie. I agree that various link ups may lead the bots to our blogs. So frustrating!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The bots are super annoying and I do think the A-Z probably added to the numbers. I appreciate the earplug tip. We haven't seen the movie yet. The tiger fudge sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh. I love a good omelet. . Enjoyed your answers. I don't think i've had tigre fudge, but I think I'd like it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I need to check my views - 3000 in one day is freaky!! The AI generated Tiger Fudge is cute!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting. All comments will be reviewed by me before they go live. If you are anonymous, please choose a consistent handle to sign your words with. I appreciate your understanding that my comment space is not a free speech zone for personal attacks or sales pitches.