Wednesday, August 5, 2026

Distractions

Inky inspects the sunflowers (my photo)


The day arrived when

I forgot to remember 

To cry over you

Broken hearts don’t fully mend

But they can get distracted 

~*~

Tanka written for Melissa’s Tanka Tuesday prompt of forgetting and inspired by the memory of my beloved kitty Gatsby.

19 comments:

  1. That was so sweet. It's hard losing a beloved pet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mary. It really is. One of my friends is going through it now, and it’s bringing back a lot of sad memories for me…

      Delete
  2. That is a very true observation.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a cute photo. I can't keep fresh flowers and plants inside except African violets. Susie doesn't eat them! She'll even try to munch on the fake flowers and the Christmas tree!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I received a whole bunch of flowers for my birthday in April, including these gorgeous sunflowers. After I took pics, I put them all outside because they were making my eyes itchy. So, Inky never actually munched on any!

      Delete
  4. RIP Gatsby; we miss you! - N

    ReplyDelete
  5. This says it very well, and in remarkably few words. We don't forget the person we lost, nor does the pain go away. But daily life crowds in, and yes, sometimes we forget to remember.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You've described grief and the process of grief beautifully!

    ReplyDelete
  7. je passe te souhaite une belle nuit a demain bisous Fabien

    ReplyDelete
  8. Paula, this is such a great poem. Grief is hard to talk about, but your poem covers those difficult feelings with real heart. 💜

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is so beautiful. This is how grief and healing works. Some days we forget and we feel bad about it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wonderful poem, Paula!

    Yvette M Calleiro :-)
    yvettemcalleiro.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Paula, wonderful to see you! Your tanka definitely resonates with me.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting. All comments will be reviewed by me before they go live. If you are anonymous, please choose a consistent handle to sign your words with. I appreciate your understanding that my comment space is not a free speech zone for personal attacks or sales pitches.