![]() |
| Colorful music notes from Pixabay |
Sorry I've been a bit absent this week ~ it's month end at work, plus I have been a busy social butterfly. I will get to your comments on previous posts in a bit. Today for Jim's Song Lyric Sunday he asks for songs about the beach to celebrate National Beach Day. I have always lived close to a coast: New York, New Jersey, Southern California, and even in Chicago I was right on the shore of Lake Michigan, which counts too. That said, I don't spend much time at the beach, though it's nice to know it's there.
Grease (1978) is one of my favorite musical movies, and one of the songs I love is "Summer Nights," which is told in a he said/ she said style about how Danny and Sandy met at the beach. Their friends join in to ask questions about the relationship. It begins in a sweet way and then heats up, just like a summer's day.
Summer loving had me a blast
Summer loving happened so fast
I met a girl crazy for me
Met a boy cute as can be
[...]
She swam by me, she got a cramp
He ran by me, got my suit damp
I saved her life, she nearly drowned
He showed off, splashing around
Summer sun, something's begun
But ah! Oh, the summer nights
Well-a, well-a, well-a, huh
[...]
He got friendly, holding my hand
Well, she got friendly down in the sand
He was sweet, just turned eighteen
Well, she was good, you know what I mean
[...]
Sandy was supposedly moving away at the end of the summer, so they said goodbye and exchanged their "true love vows," though apparently not phone numbers. Sandy didn't end up moving and instead showed up at Danny's high school. When their classmates asked about their summer, they told the story song "Summer Nights," giving details of their romance. Of course, they both had different viewpoints. Whose do you believe? I tend to go with Sandy's version. After the song ends, they realize they're at the same school and shenanigans ensue. Nothing like this would happen today because Danny and Sandy would be madly texting each other all along.
Lyrics from Musixmatch. Songwriting credits to Jim Jacobs / Warren Casey.

Yes!!! Such fond memories of this song and watching the movie, too
ReplyDeleteSame here, Jill!
DeleteNice selection going with this clever “he-said/she-said” song and Danny being a typical guy brags about a wild romance, while Sandy tells a sweet, and innocent story. Thanks for joining in again and sharing your music, Paula.
ReplyDeleteMy pleasure!
DeleteI like the song! I just met a young woman (mid thirties) yesterday at an event who is of Cuban descent (grandparents came over from Cuba) and she grew up in Miami two blocks from the ocean! Then she moved to California where she was also close to the beach. Now she's in Ohio and plot twist, she loves it though she did say she misses being near a beach. You don't say!! I've never lived near a beach or coast :(.
ReplyDeleteThanks Maria! Hopefully you can have some river and/or lake visits 🙂
DeletePaula, that's a great song and so is the whole Grease soundtrack. I like how the chorus sings, "tell me more tell me more." I also love the movie. My kind of musical.
ReplyDeleteThanks Lisa! It’s all so upbeat 🤩
DeleteGrease is such a good movie.
ReplyDeleteMy late husband was from New Jersey. I've been there twice to visit his family.
I haven’t been back…
DeleteMy guess then, as now, is that Sandy's version was closer to the truth.
ReplyDeleteRight on!
DeleteLove this movie and song, Paula. Nice choice.
ReplyDeleteThanks Nancy!
DeleteSummer Nights" remains a classic choice for National Beach Day. The contrasting perspectives between Danny and Sandy make for a fun comparison, and it is interesting to think about how modern communication would change the dynamic. Thanks for sharing a great pick for Song Lyric Sunday
ReplyDeleteYou’re welcome! Thanks for addressing my cell phone comment 🙂
DeleteI have never seen "Grease" and have not listened to its soundtrack, but I do like "Summer Nights". I too think Sandy was telling the truth while Danny was bragging.
ReplyDeleteIt’s funny to watch, Keera, because all the actors are way too old for those high school roles 😂
Delete