| Jackie the bald eagle from BBV |
I admit that I cried when I read about the death of Jackie, the famous bald eagle from Big Bear Valley, California. She died in care last week from various health issues after being rescued following a fight with younger eagles. While the fight didn't cause her death, I wonder if she was attacked because the other eagles sensed weakness. Animals will do that. People too.
I wouldn't say that I bawled over reading the news, but I definitely shed a few tears. It didn't help my mood to see that Jackie was 14, the same age as Gatsby when he died last year of kidney failure. Even though I absolutely adore my precious Inky, and she is probably the sweetest kitty I've ever had, I still miss my spicy little tuxedo guy. Gatsby was my soul-kitty, and we had been through so much together. Some of you may recall that the minute I broke up with Jim in the fall of 2011, the first thing I wanted to do was get a cat (he didn't like animals ~ red flag!). At my younger daughter's request, I waited until winter break when she was home from college so we could visit the shelter together. It's a good thing I did because she was the one who chose Gatsby! I thought I wanted an older female cat, but she bonded with him, and then I did too. She also chose his name ~ I was on the verge of going with Ringo.
Unfortunately, I don't know how to seamlessly fit balled into this post because I don't want to copy my friend Fandango's hilarious post and say I balled up a tissue to blot my tears when I read about Jackie. I will say that it is always a source of amusement to me when people write balled when they mean bawled. In general, I do not have a 13 year old boy's sense of humor, but there are exceptions. Or at least this one.
Anyway, RIP Jackie. May her mate Shadow and all their offspring live long, happy lives. And may her memory generate respect for bald eagles and their habitats.
~*~
Written for Linda's Stream of Consciousness Saturday (this week hosted by Dan Antion), where we try to use bald, bawled, and balled.
Well done. I am sorry for anyone who loses a precious animal. I’m especiallly sorry when it’s a tuxedo cat. We’ve had four, and each was a hard loss, and deeply missed to this day.
ReplyDeleteSorry the anonymous comment was mine.
ReplyDeleteThanks Dan. It is so hard to say goodbye to our pets.
DeleteThat is so sad about the Eagle. I didn't know of this one, and we don't have them around here, but still ... Oh, so sorry to hear about your dear Gatsby! I wondered if you still had that cute kitty. It is so hard to say goodbye to them. <3
ReplyDeleteIt really is. Thank you, Barbara!
DeleteYou're welcome. <3
DeleteI've been hearing about this. Very sad.
ReplyDeleteYeah...
DeleteI was saddened to read about Jackie's death, too and wrote about her in my SoC post. It seems strange that they could not determine the underlying cause of her condition, but then doctors and scientists don't know everything. I agree that not liking animals is a red flag. Thank you for rescuing and giving your cats good lives. Sometimes that's the best we can do.
ReplyDeleteThank you, Joanna!
DeleteJackie's death caused me to shed a few tears, too. I've watched the Jackie/Shadow nest and always looked forward to seeing the hatchlings and how their parents took such great care of them, even under the harshest of circumstances. Nature is beautiful. And Gatsby. He was still a young one when I got Zelda in 2013, and it was always fun to see our kittehs grow up and to compare notes. RIP Gatsby. - N
ReplyDeleteThanks so much. I hope Zelda is doing well!
DeleteShe's had another tooth pulled and is now rebelling against wet food. She lost about 1.5 lbs, but she had it to spare. I hope she will adjust to new food eventually. - N
DeleteThis is such a touching and heartfelt tribute to Jackie. ❤️ Saying goodbye to someone who has been part of our lives is never easy, and posts like this beautifully show how memories can keep a person’s presence alive. The personal reflections make this more than just a farewell—they are a celebration of a life that clearly meant something to others. Thank you for sharing these memories and allowing readers to remember Jackie with you. 🕊️🌹
ReplyDeleteThank you so much :)
DeleteI had read about Jackie in another blog as well. So sad.
ReplyDeleteDefinitely…
DeleteOh, I could definitely fit "balled" into a post. For that is what I do. LOL
ReplyDeleteI most surely get where you're coming from re: Gatsby. While she dearly loves her two cats now, she still grieves over the two who preceded them.
Re balled: I have no doubt about that!
DeleteEach kitty is so special 🩷
It's so weird how close we get to strangers on the internet. Actually grieving a being or person we never met. I remember feeling sad when Grumpy Cat died, and there have been several online friends who are no longer with us.
ReplyDeleteI do think it is safe to say the grief is real. It may not affect us as deeply as if we were personally involved with the deceased (human or animal) but we do feel the loss.
I agree, Keera. I still miss AD and another blogger Ashley who passed away…
DeleteI miss AD, too, and Gatsby.
DeleteI had seen the bits on the news about her. I was sad to hear of her passing. But it sounds like they tried their best to help her.
ReplyDeleteYes, I think they were very dedicated, but it was her time to go…
DeleteWhat a majestic creature. I am sorry to read of her death. Hate that in natural it does seem to be survival of the fittest so often. And that the fittest often take advantage of/ bully the less fit. One of my kitties had cancer - unbeknownst to us. The other kitty, almost exactly the same age but healthy, began really teasing and taunting the sick one. It was heart breaking. And we didn't understand why. They had been together since they were several months old. When we discovered Purrsimmony was sick, we better understood (but still detested) Purrsnickitty's actions. Now Snick is the old one and our younger kitty can be merciless to her. So sad.
ReplyDeleteIt really is hard to watch :(
Delete