Monday, August 24, 2026

My Silver Anniversary

 

Image stolen from Google

This week marks my 25th anniversary working for the same law firm. It’s a big deal, especially these days when people are constantly changing jobs, and I was honored for my years last Friday night at our company dinner. Not coincidentally, I was the oldest person in the room. I can still remember being the youngest person at work, back in Chicago after dropping out of college (I returned later to get my degree).

I found a quarter in the office parking lot this morning (heads up), which I will take as a sign of good luck from the gods for my 25th milestone, or maybe a sign that someone dropped their change. I’m hoping that it’s not a sign I need to stay employed for 25 more years.

I haven’t felt the blogging muse for a while, though I do have a couple posts scheduled for this week. I guess I mean the prompts lately haven’t inspired me, and I vowed not to post filler here. I did a lot of filler posts on my last blog just to stay in the feeds, and I ended up stressed and unhappy because of that. I started a few poems recently and abandoned them all because I wasn't feeling the vibe.

Interesting that my stats have returned to “normal” after that weird World Cup surge. (Probably a coincidence.) I’m still getting hits from odd places, but not thousands of them. It’s also strange that even on days when I post nothing, I get a hundred or so views. Whatever. I don’t want to obsess over stats.

I’ve also been busy, at least for me. Besides the work event on Friday, I had social events on Saturday and Sunday. I also have more social events scheduled for this Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. The next weekend is similarly packed with people-ing. What the heck? I’m supposed to be an antisocial, introverted hermit!

For someone with nothing to say, I have managed to write several paragraphs. 

14 comments:

  1. A remarkably long tenure. I think the longest I ever stayed at one job was six years. Usually it takes only about three years for a previously tolerable workplace to go to shit, usually due to changes in management or ownership.

    It's always fine not to post if you're too busy or nothing inspires you. Blogging is supposed to be fun, so if it becomes an obligation, what's the point?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly! That’s how I burnt out before…

      Delete
  2. No obsessing over stats! I used to do that, too, and perhaps that's why I have not returned to blogging. I don't think I have a good theme to blog about any longer. Sure, I still love music, but I don't think I'm quite current or at all on top of the latest and the greatest. There are a ton of knit/crochet blogs, so there's no need for me to add to that. So I'll be comfortable enough with hiding away in my house, catching up with friendly people at the Y, and hanging out with my family, both human and feline. - N

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I get that. If you’re not feeling it, why bother?

      Delete
  3. Congratulations! That is a great accomplishment.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Also, congrats on the 25 year mark! Nothing to snooze at. - N

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well congratulations! That is quite the accomplishment and loyalty. Good for you!

    I read recently, the reason for an upsurge in traffic on blogs from around the world are from automated bot traffic and bot crawlers. I had that a lot when I was on Blogger and then, poof - they went away and the true stats showed up. You might consider Google Analytics, which has a setting to exclude all hits from known bots and spiders automatically. Also now with these Ai data centers, they send out bots to harvest data from blogs and writing platforms, social media.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Debby! Yes, I might look into that, if I feel motivated enough…

      Delete
  6. That is the joy of the feed reader. You can disappear for a couple days, and I'll still find you when you pop up again. (Someone disappeared for something like two years and just reappeared. And my feed reader caught it.) Do what works for you. There's no need to write if you're not feeling it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Liz for recommending Feedly. It makes blog reading so much more convenient!

      Delete
  7. Congratulations on your 25th work anniversary. That’s an achievement that you and fewer people are able to brag about in today’s age. You have a lot to be proud of.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting. All comments will be reviewed by me before they go live. If you are anonymous, please choose a consistent handle to sign your words with. I appreciate your understanding that my comment space is not a free speech zone for personal attacks or sales pitches.