Sunday, September 27, 2026

Another Perspective

Colorful music notes from Pixabay


For today’s Song Lyric Sunday, Jim asks for songs about civil rights, oppression, protest, revolution, or social change. Lots of bloggers are posting appropriate songs, but I decided to go a bit slant on the prompt today. Before I get to that though, I want to address a different topic, which is Jim's statement that he is giving up Thursday Inspiration (started by me way back when) and Friday Faithfuls, both due to lack of participation. I totally get it, and it's really frustrating to pour your heart into a piece of writing that is mostly ignored. That's how I feel about my Kindle books self-published on Amazon, each of which has at best a dozen sales. No one cares. No one is interested unless I give them away for free, and even then they won't actually be read and rated/ reviewed. They'll just get stuck in virtual libraries until the end of time. I know this because I had plenty of giveaways when I wrote romances as Anna. It's just the way of things now. By some magical alchemy, certain works, whether good, bad, or mediocre, go "viral" and get read and commented on by hundreds or thousands of folks, while other similar writing gets overlooked entirely. 

While many of us swear we "write for ourselves," we still want to be read. We aren't stuffing our bits of poetry into our sock drawers hoping no one finds it because we're scared of fame. We put our writing out here in public for a reason: we want to be seen. My first blog had loads of real views and comments ~ and I know they were real because this was before bots were scouring the internet to steal everything ~ and I liked it, even though when I reread what I wrote back then it makes me cringe. Things slowly changed however, and when I had my WordPress blog, most of the views and likes were fake. I would get a hundred likes on a post and two comments. I began posting more and more, but nothing helped; it just became more of the same. I ended up dumping that blog out of frustration, both with myself for getting so OCD about it and with other WP bloggers. Not to mention WP itself being full of glitches even when you paid for it, which I did. Blogger is full of glitches too, but it's free, and it has no stupid "like" button to fool you into thinking your writing is more interesting than it actually is. I deliberately kept this blog off Google to avoid dealing with spam and drop-ins who aren't actually interested in my words. It's worked ~ I get zero spam comments and very few marketing type comments.

Regarding Jim's posts, I have always enjoyed his writing, but often I have nothing to comment in reply, so I don't say anything. This is true for a lot of bloggers I follow, and I am not generally inclined to post a banal "good post" or suchlike when I really have no thoughts about it. Why am I jabbering on about this? I don't know. I was going to talk about a song, but I got tired of staring at my phone, so I opened my laptop, and here's this entire screen just begging to be filled up with my nonsensical words. How can I resist that? NaNoWriMo is coming up, which is the perfect opportunity to fill screen after screen with meaningless words, but I will probably pass on that as I have done the last several years. Though who knows... I do like to go on and on.

OK, so the musical Hair is a good choice to mine for songs on the SLS topic for today. One of the songs however is actually a criticism of the war protestors/ draft-card burners, and that's the one that came to mind. The main characters include Hud (Dorsey Wright) who lives in Central Park after giving up his former life when he received a draft notice. In the 1979 movie version, Hud's fiancée (Cheryl Barnes) shows up with their son, referring to Hud by his real name Lafayette and asking why he's abandoned them. Hud dismisses her, as he's now more loyal to the "cause" and the ragtag protest group that Berger (Treat Williams) formed in response to the Vietnam War (though they really are protesting the idea of going over to fight and die more than the war itself). His fiancée (not given a name) continues to beg Hud to come home and launches into "Easy to Be Hard" written by Gerome Ragni / James Rado / Galt Mac Dermot for the 1967 musical Hair and covered by Three Dog Night in 1969 to great success.

How can people be so heartless?
How can people be so cruel?
Easy to be hard
Easy to be cold
Oh, how can people have no feelings?
How can they ignore their friends?
Easy to be proud
Easy to say no
Oh, especially people who care about strangers
Who care about evil and social injustice
Do you only care about the bleeding crowd?
How about a needing friend?
I need a friend [...]

Have you known people like this? I have. 

7 comments:

  1. Paula you are a great writer and I am sorry that your Kindle sales are not reflecting that. Maybe this is the reason why I have three unpublished books, because I don’t want to face disappointment. ‘Easy to Be Hard’ is a great choice as it criticizes people who claim to care about massive global issues and strangers, yet fail to show basic empathy, kindness, and support for the people right in front of them, such as their own friends in need. Thanks for being here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Paula, you make some excellent points and I don't think any of them are non-sensical. Your line about stuffing our sock drawers with what we write was very good! I started writing publicly in 2017 when I joined a competitive online writing group. I enjoyed the challenge and "winning" (just bragging rights) was a bonus. When that group fell apart, I signed up with WP and quickly found my niche responding to prompts. I love writing and I'm proud of my work, especially when people acknowledge it. I have learned a lot about writing, especially poetry. I have also met a lot of great people who have become my friends and I enjoy that part of blogging as much as writing. I contributed to two anthologies which were published on Amazon but I have no desire to publish my own work and never will; that's where writing for myself truly comes in. When I get tired of this (or disillusioned), I'll pack it in but until then, I'll continue to write and enjoy the likes and comments that come my way.
    I love your song choice which was also one of my featured songs this week. Keep on keeping on!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it's awesome that you had the gumption to write books and get them published! I like to write but I feel pretty strongly that I don't have the creative chops to come up with a great plot/story line. I so admire that ability in novelists! And so I'm ok with being a reader who appreciates those with writing talent. My blogging journey is kinda funny. My old posts have about ten views! I never commented on others' blogs and I never did link ups. I blogged this way for probably close to ten years. Now more people read my blog because I comment on others' blogs and I do some link ups. I enjoy the creative(ish) process of writing about everyday life.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Paula, I miss your presence on WP and most of the time don't visit Blogger, unless it is specifically to read linked posts at WP that are from Blogger. I visit substack way more and it is also free. I read there and comment more than write. It's become super politicized also which is a turn-off.

    I had totally forgotten this song started in Hair and mainly heard it from 3DN. Its lyrics are potent and the melody is haunting. It brings up important questions. For me, the biggest challenge is continuing to care at some level. Apathy is the harbinger of doom for me.

    Thank you for your thoughtful, passionate post.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I visit some blogs that I have no idea what to say sometimes too. But I want them to know that I was there and read what they posted so I just say something. I know what it's like to write out a blog post and have very few comments. So if I read a post, I like to leave a comment too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are right. We write for ourselves, but it is nice to be noticed. I just blog bits, nothing creative, but it's still something.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting. All comments will be reviewed by me before they go live. If you are anonymous, please choose a consistent handle to sign your words with. I appreciate your understanding that my comment space is not a free speech zone for personal attacks or sales pitches.