Sunday, September 6, 2026

Confessions of a Lazy Blogger

 

My daughter's kitty Zizi who passed a while ago

I have been enjoying other bloggers' long posts full of links and photos and diary-like reporting of their lives, and I think yeah I should do that too. Then I think nah I can't be bothered. Today I had planned a longer post for Jim's Song Lyric Sunday, which would have featured the song "I Hate Myself for Loving You" by Joan Jett, who was born in September (the theme). I had the idea of relating the lyrics to my own experience of the same, as this month marks the 10-year "anniversary" (9/25/16) of when I met the Michael who ghosted me at Thanksgiving (as opposed to all the other Michaels). I was going to jabber on about the significance of the square numbers, and go through the whole boring story again, even though some of you have heard it a few times already. 

Meh.

I find that I just don't care enough about it any longer to talk about the details. If it's uninteresting to me, I am pretty sure I can't make it sound interesting to you. Plot twist: I'm happy that I no longer care about what happened 10 years ago or any other dating experiences. They're all a big stupid blur of who gives a f*ck?

Nothing else grabbed me to post for SLS, so I thought OK I will do Joyce's Hodgepodge. But the theme is football. I mean, it goes beyond football, but ugh. Football. If I participate and share my link, then I will need to read other posts on the topic to participate fairly... blech. This is nothing against people who enjoy football. Some of my best friends like football. Hah.

I saw someone in my feed post about "lilac," and I followed the link back to the OP, who are a couple peeps I interacted with years ago on Wordpress, but they have their comments disabled. Blogspot posts do not "ping back" to another post when you create a link; the only way to alert another blogger that you tagged them is to go over there and leave a comment. I don’t mind doing this occasionally, but if comments are disabled, I don't feel like dealing with it, going to all the pingbacked links, hoping for a few return visits, blah blah, even though I might have done that if I could have commented, which makes little sense as it's the same thing, but hey. Then I thought, fine, I'll just do my lilac post for my loyal readers who come here of their own free will just to read exciting posts like this one.

Meh. I was out of the mood by then.

Generally, I avoid the diary type of posts because I have to leave out too much, since I don't post about work in any specific way nor do I want to say anything about family or friends that they might not like. I have been burned before in writing about these topics. It doesn't seem like anyone I know in "real life" reads this blog, but if I ever mention something like say a roommate I had back in Huntington Beach, then you can bet they will come slithering out. I do use the name Michael, and occasionally Jim, as there are a kabillion of them, and I doubt one will want to make himself known by jumping up and yelling YES I'M THE AHOLE!

I see that the Sunday Whirl Wordle has some really pretty words in it like mosses and plumes and forest and ruffle, so maybe if I get over my lazies I will write a poem with all the prompt words. Hazy images are starting to materialize in my mind...

Here's the bottom line (literally): I don't want blogging to take much effort. If an idea for a post turns out to be Not Fun and a Giant Chore to continue with, I delete it. If participating in a "blog hop" takes a bunch of work, I'm out. There are too many books I could spend time reading instead.

14 comments:

  1. It's your blog, so you should write or not write whatever you like! ☺ And definitely, if it's not fun or a chore, don't bother. From my experience, many blog hops are full of people mostly interested in self-promotion and not social interaction, which largely defeats the purpose. That said, I still join some, but only when the muse is willing. Happy Labour Day weekend to you! 🍹

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jamie (Jannghi.blogspot.com): I've been feeling this way lately.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are really in the doldrums, aren't you? Nothing wrong with that. I've been there. Do you have a birthday coming up (or did one just pass)? Of course, it could just be your September migraines. Whatever. No need to diagnose. When you're out of it, you'll know.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the migraine season has something to do with it. I am feeling better today!

      Delete
  4. I used to devote so much less time to blogging- it was certainly harder to justify the time when my kids were at ages where they needed me physically to get from point A to point B and emotionally when I was "their person" which changed as they got older. During this time, I used to read a blog where a woman detailed so much of her life. It was impressive/frankly a little odd but I found myself enjoying reading her posts and decided that if I ever had more time, I'd like to write in that style. So it's sort of what I do now. But I do feel the tug of, "do I read with my spare time or write?" and lately writing has been winning. But I could see that changing. I also have found a group of women whom I've met in real life and we tend to comment on each others' posts. It's like we're conversing on a really not deep level, lol! But since I know them a bit in real life it seems more real? I don't know. I enjoy reading your posts no matter what the subject is. I do hear you on not being willing/able to post about certain people/work, etc. I think when people like to write, it shows in their writing and it's enjoyable to read. Sorry for these fairly disjointed thoughts. I have lots of thoughts on the subject but am, naturally, limited on time so I have to make this brief :).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean. When I blogged with people I "knew" from online forums, we had our inside jokes and whatnot that made things feel more personal and fun. Now, I have only one reader from that time (hi Keera!) and whenever I make a joke, I think, dang it, no one's going to understand that! Not that it stops me...

      Delete
  5. Well, at least you're writing! I look at my blog and go "meh". Which is too bad, but I've been in a weird limbo where nothing excites me so I do nothing and you can't make a whole blog post (or a series of blog posts) about nothing. I think.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hah, my posts are mostly about nothing! I do miss your writing, Keera :)

      Delete
  6. I agree with you completely. Blogging should be fun, not a chore. Glad to hear you're feeling better! ♥️

    ReplyDelete
  7. I never did the blog links or prompts. I did write diary posts and as you know I still do, but once I got married, and even more once R was born, I write them less frequently as (a) I have less time and (b) as you say, I don't want to upset anyone. I just do my own thing...

    ReplyDelete
  8. I totally get it. You just never know who is reading your blog and who will find something in a post that they don't like a leave a comment letting you know.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Some autobiogrphical or diary type writing can be fun too.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting. All comments will be reviewed by me before they go live. If you are anonymous, please choose a consistent handle to sign your words with. I appreciate your understanding that my comment space is not a free speech zone for personal attacks or sales pitches.