Thursday, September 17, 2026

Spilling the Tea

Screenshot from somewhere...



Iced or steaming, it’s tea for me;
I don’t want whiskey or champagne.
My cup’s half-full? Just leave it be.

When I sank into love’s debris,
These soothing brews helped keep me sane.
Iced or steaming, it’s tea for me.

A promise is no guarantee
Their careless plans will still remain.
My cup’s half-full—just leave it be—

I’m better off alone and free
Than on the drunken dating train.
Iced or steaming, it’s tea for me.

The fish can all stay out to sea;
A peaceful life is my heart’s gain.
My cup’s half-full. Just leave it be.

Well-meaning friends may disagree,
But sobriety I maintain.
Iced or steaming, it’s tea for me—
My cup’s half-full. Just leave it be!

~*~

Villanelle written for David's W3 challenge. I use "sobriety" in the sense of staying away from the crazy world of dating and apps.

14 comments:

  1. I agree with all of that- except the Iced Tea! Yuk...... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I’m with you Paula - I like the occasional glass of red wine but if someone said you can only choose one drink it would have to be tea 👌

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tea it is! Right now I'm having some Constant Comment, but my cup is completely full. :-) - N

    ReplyDelete
  4. Excellent villanelle. Iced tea or apps...Never:).....Rall

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really admire how you turned the choice to stay sober and single into something so upbeat and unapologetic rather than a lament - that "cup half-full" refrain lands perfectly. There's something genuinely freeing about choosing peace over the chaos of dating and drinking, and you captured that feeling with real wit. Thanks for sharing something so personal in such a fun form!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Really nice poem! I like it... and tea! And not whiskey- hey I made a little rhyme! I will leave the rhyming to the real poets such as YOU!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely ode to tea! I'm more of a coffee drinker, but also like green tea. And iced tea in summer is very refreshing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nailing the strict structure of a villanelle is impressive, and your rhymes feel completely effortless! "Better off alone and free than on the drunken dating train" is an absolute anthem. Here’s to peaceful tea over app chaos any day of the week, Paula!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Loved your take, Paula.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting. All comments will be reviewed by me before they go live. If you are anonymous, please choose a consistent handle to sign your words with. I appreciate your understanding that my comment space is not a free speech zone for personal attacks or sales pitches.