![]() |
| Colorful music notes from Pixabay |
For Jim's Song Lyric Sunday today, he asks for songs about leaving, departing, exiting, etc., and of course I thought of a scene from Mamma Mia Here We Go Again. Donna and Sam are spending an idyllic week together falling in love on a paradisical Greek island before Sam has to return to his "short-hair life" as a respectable architect. Then Donna finds a photo of Sam with his fiancée (obvious because they're in the classic engagement pose with her left hand displaying a ring). Donna freaks, runs out of Sam's rented "shack," and returns to the farmhouse she'd been staying in when they met.
No more carefree laughter
Silence ever after
Walking through an empty house
Tears in my eyes
Here is where the story ends
This is goodbye
Sam chases Donna back to the farmhouse where he begs her to talk to him. She asks him if the woman in the photo is his fiancée, and he admits she is. Then Donna asks if he told her about being engaged, and he says no. That's a little unfair because Sam tried to tell her the night they met, but Donna interrupted him to talk to the band leader. He also probably would have said something when they were canoeing to a picnic, but she went on about how they should commit to live forever on the island (after spending only one night together!), and he had to deal with that conversation instead. Of course, he probably had other chances off-screen to tell her and didn't.
Knowing me, knowing you (Ah-haa)
There is nothing we can do
Knowing me, knowing you (Ah-haa)
We just have to face it
This time we're through
(This time we're through, we're really through)
These ABBA lyrics don't fit the scene perfectly because the song is really about people who have been together a long time and have had other breakups, but it mostly works for the situation between Sam and Donna. As we know, Sam leaves the island, and Donna is heartbroken, but when he comes back for her a few weeks later, she has gone off with Bill on his boat. Donna and Sam don’t see each other again until Sophie invites him to her wedding 21 years later. (Remember that Donna slept with Harry right before she met Sam, which is why there are three possible fathers.)
Breaking up is never easy, I know
But I have to go (This time, I know)
Knowing me, knowing you
It's the best I can do
Lyrics source is Musixmatch. Songwriting credits go to Benny Goran Bror Andersson / Bjoern K. Ulvaeus / Stig Erik Leopold Anderson. The original song is from the 1977 Arrival album by ABBA.

OMG, I still have not seen any Mama Mia things. I will eventually get to it, but I love these Abba songs! - N
ReplyDeleteNice choice, Paula. I only watched the first Mama Mia movie, but I have heard this song, and it is lovely. Thanks for explaining what is going on and for adding the video link.
ReplyDeletePaula, I remember you talking about Mama Mia before and I like how you laid out the plot. The video tells me I need to watch it. Will see if library has it. I love that song also. Great choice for the prompt.
ReplyDeleteI, too, like Abba songs but have only seen one (I think?) Mama Mia movie. Thanks for the link to the scene. I may have to make my husband watch this one with me, hehe.
ReplyDeleteIt was a good song. ABBA did a lot of good music. I never knew about these movies, though.
ReplyDelete