Thursday, October 1, 2026

A Boy Named 2i

AI generated image via Fandango (lightened)

“Life ain’t easy for a boy named 2i,” the cowboy said to the bartender. “My father thought I was imaginary, which is why he saddled me with this ridiculous name before they took him to the funny farm.”

Robby beep-booped sympathetically. “I hear ya, kid. My cousin Claude is so advanced he gets to work at a posh Wall Street firm while I sling tequila sunrises all night. Another round?”

2i nodded. “You’re lucky you have a job. I just wander around LinkedIn trying to hide my shame.”

“It’s a lonely life,” Robby agreed.

“And forget about trying to meet someone.” 2i sipped his drink. “Whenever I get a match on an app and tell her my real name, she ghosts me.”

Robby swiped a rag across the bar. “Well, it’s not a real name.”

2i shook his head. “Everyone’s a comedian. Hey, what about her?” He nodded toward a redhead with curves that went on forever.

Robby leaned closer to whisper. “Strawberry Pi. Stay away from her, kid. She’s irrational.”

~*~

Flash fiction written for Fandango’s new Thursday Inspiration prompt and loosely based on the song “A Boy Named Sue” by Johnny Cash.

1 comment:

Thanks for visiting. All comments will be reviewed by me before they go live. If you are anonymous, please choose a consistent handle to sign your words with. I appreciate your understanding that my comment space is not a free speech zone for personal attacks or sales pitches.