Wednesday, April 1, 2026

Aunts (April A2Z ~ Misty Memories)

Aunties and Grandma

Welcome to my April A2Z posts! This time, I am officially signed up on the challenge sheet and will be visiting other bloggers on the list. My theme is "misty memories," which will include a bunch of rambling about old stuff in my life, and hopefully some of it will be accurate, but if not, there's no one around to contradict me. Today we begin with A for Aunts.

When I lived back East, decades ago, I thought I had several aunts. It turned out, however, that they were technically my great-aunts, sisters of my paternal grandmother, Louise. I also had regular aunts, my mother's sisters, but I hardly saw them. My mother had had a falling out with her family in Ohio before moving to New York, and it wouldn't be for many more years until she was in semi-regular contact again. So, as a little kid, I really only knew of my father's relatives. All these sisters were much older than Grandma Louise.

I believe Aunt Dora was the eldest of the siblings (there was also a brother in the mix, who died young). I didn’t see Aunt Dora often. She was married to Charlie, and they had one child, a little girl who died from pertussis when she was only three years old. MAHA! 

Aunt Jenny was next. I saw her infrequently and only when I visited her daughter, Aunt Sylvia, who was not technically my aunt. Sylvia didn’t have children and didn’t seem to like them either. Her husband Emil was much more easygoing. 

My Aunt Lily was fun: a redhead who wore a lot of purple and told bawdy jokes. She may have had a son, Jerry, or Jerry could have been someone else’s son. There are too many people to keep track of!

Speaking of, I think one of the sisters was Aunt Hazel, but I can’t recall anything about her.

I saw Aunt Rosie more than the others, not that I really knew her well. She had two daughters near my dad’s age, and they hung out sometimes. One daughter was a career woman and had no children, and the other, Leah, had two, a son and a daughter. The daughter had one son. 

Finally, when I was in my teens, I was able to get to know my mother’s side of the family a little. She was the eldest of seven ~ two boys and five girls. Aunt Darlene is especially nice and recently sent me a family tree book. I doubt I will ever see her in person again, or any of these peeps, since I am not in regular contact with them, and I dislike traveling.

I have some good memories of visits with my mom's family in Ohio, where aunties (and others) acted happy to see me, and there were loads of animals to play with, especially kittens and horses. Once, I fed a baby goat with a bottle, which was an incredible experience. I wish I knew my aunties all a bit more.

11 comments:

  1. Wow, you had/have a lot of aunts! No wonder you picked them to write about for the letter A. I love all the old fashioned names. You aunt Lily sure sounds like a colorful soul.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "hopefully some of it will be accurate, but if not, there's no one around to contradict me." Love that LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aunties are the best. I had several too. The great Aunties in particularly invoke fond memories. Learned to quilt, sew, crochet, and more from them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. And we're off! A bit envious of your aunties even if you didn't know them well. I had only one and I don't know anything about her except that she's the eldest and my father is the youngest of three children, and by virtue of looking a lot like my dad, I also look a bit like my aunt.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi! Bopping over from Mainely Write! I fixed the commenting so it happens immediately now instead of having to have me approve it. The site's been quiet for awhile and you get random spam comments then. it's all good now! I had some aunts, too that were really great aunts or close relatives we just called aunt. I love doing genealogy - you should try getting to the bottom of some of the lines. It sounds like you would like it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Paula! LTNS. Sorry you weren't able to get to know your maternal aunts earlier, but I'm guessing your mom had her reasons for keeping her distance from them.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi there! Stopping by from the A to Z. I remember many of my aunts, although all have passed now. I do also remember how exciting it was to BE an aunt when my sisters had kids. Great start!
    Janet’s Smiles

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for the visits and comments! 💕

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's always interesting to see old photos.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Enjoyed reading about your aunties. Great and regular. Do you pronounce the work like ANT or do you pronounce to rhyme with DAUNT? Just curious.
    I am in the process of scanning our old family photos. A very slow process!! Wish we had more photos of my great aunts and uncles. I only met each a few times.
    Being the oldest of 7 children, I am sure your mama had a hard road to hoe. Glad she and her family eventually came back together.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Leslie! I do say ANT and ANTIES (rhymes with panties lol)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting. All comments will be reviewed by me before they go live. If you are anonymous, please choose a consistent handle to sign your words with. I appreciate your understanding that my comment space is not a free speech zone for personal attacks or sales pitches.