![]() |
| Mommy and me, around 1965 |
Welcome to my April A2Z posts! This time, I am officially signed up on the challenge sheet and will be visiting other bloggers on the list. My theme is "misty memories," which will include a bunch of rambling about old stuff in my life, and hopefully some of it will be accurate, but if not, there's no one around to contradict me. Today we continue with B for Books.
At 10, I read The Velveteen Rabbit, a beautiful story which made me cry and still does. I reread it from time to time.
By the time I was 12, I was reading adult romances ~ yes, the kind the drugstore sells. At first, they were "light" Harlequins, but that's just a gateway drug, and eventually I moved on to steamier stuff. As I have mentioned before, this was bad for me, and as a parent I wouldn't have allowed it (luckily, my daughters had no interest in romance novels and still don't). My parents, however, were of the hippy dippy 70's mindset that nothing should be censored from anyone, and they also believed that reading was so valuable it shouldn't be discouraged. I suppose that's a fair point, as I did have a much wider vocabulary than my peers.
Anyway, I read everything, and I mean everything. The Happy Hooker. Playboy. Hustler. This was all lying around at my parents' house and at the houses of people whose kids I babysat. (OK, sometimes I had to search for it, lol.) A lot of this material was inappropriate for a young teenager because I couldn't put it in context or process it properly as fantasy. It messed up my head and self-image. I didn't look anything like the women I read about, and in my mind, physical appearance became tied to love: if you weren't beautiful, in very specific ways, you weren't going to be loved. That is how my 12-17 year old brain processed this reading material.
I also read tons of mysteries and detective novels and some biographies and autobiographies of celebs. I still enjoy those genres. For decades, I continued with the romances, gravitating toward novels set in the Regency period, but right now I'm tired of them all. I'm also a bit bored with thrillers, as after reading hundreds of them, they aren't that thrilling.
I still love books though, just not the reading rut I have been in lately ~ I have struggled to escape and return to the magic of books! These days, I'm apt to choose one that's simply different from stuff I've recently read. Poetry, biography, science, philosophy, etc. Case in point: at the moment I am reading Love of Goldens, a non-fiction "coffee table" book with loads of photos of gorgeous golden retrievers interspersed with adorable vignettes.
Everything old is new again, eh?

My early reading material was Dr. Seuss, and then Nancy Drew and the Hardy Boys. At age 10 I discovered SF and read that genre for years. My father, who raised me as a single Dad after my mother died when I was 12, also was liberal in allowing me to read anything I was interested in . Yes, as a teen I read The Happy Hooker. I also had a period of reading the romance magazines where a teen strayed from the straight and narrow and had to suffer for it in the end, so maybe those little morality stories influenced me, too. I had forgotten all about that! I was reading by the time I was in kindergarten and reading from the adult section of the library by 2nd grade, before the libraries would grant you an adult card. Memories! Enjoyed your post.
ReplyDeleteI love this post. I read the Bobbsey Twins too but my favorite growing up was the Nancy Drew series. In my forties I got hooked on romances but I skipped the "gateway" variety and went straight into historicals.
ReplyDeleteWhile it's true that not all books are of equal value, and some aren't appropriate for kids, reading books is certainly important for the developing mind. I'm sure the fluency with which you write is at least partly due to all that early reading. As a culture we've been lucky that Harry Potter has led so many kids back to book-reading in this age of mind-deadening glowing screens.
ReplyDeleteAlana, that’s hilarious that we both read The Happy Hooker! Welcome to my blog!
ReplyDeleteMoW, sometimes the historical romances are very enjoyable, as long as the author doesn’t forget about the characters!
Infidel, thank you! Yes, Potter was good for that. Hopefully, there will be new, engaging books for the next batch of kiddos…
Hi Paula. I'm a reader too. (My monthly book post goes up on Monday next week.) I've read forever, loving Trixie Belden, Nancy Drew and so many more as a kid and now, lots of things! Thanks so much for stopping by my blog today! Happy Easter.
ReplyDeleteI grew up on Nancy Drews!
ReplyDeleteI also love books! My earliest memories are of my father reading When We Were Very Young, A. A. Milne. I could hardly wait to turn six, when he'd read me Now We Are Six! Later he'd bring home second The Bobbsey Twins, and later Nancy Drew, he'd gotten at a used book store in San Francisco he'd pick up on his lunch breaks. He was a involved father before most fathers were involved, being born in 1914.
ReplyDeleteI love books and have always been an avid reader. I read books that were from the "older" section at the library, but I don't remember reading anything too inappropriate. I do remember asking my mother how to pronounce "illegitimate" . . .and that book may have disappeared.
ReplyDeleteThat is a tricky balance--protecting kids from exposure to ideas they're not ready for versus sheltering them and keeping them ignorant too long. I supposed none of us every get it 100% perfectly right. @samanthabwriter from
ReplyDeleteBalancing Act
Visiting from the A to Z Challenge. I loved the Bobbsey Twins! Like you, I read anything I could get my hands on. My first naughty book was Peyton Place. My mom did not approve, so I hid it from her. Mostly though, I liked mysteries. As I got older, I got into the classics like Dickens.
ReplyDeleteI'm not much of a romance reader, but when i do read them they're usually YA/smut free. But as a genre I can't really say I enjoy it all that much. I'm a fantasy nerd. But I think your parents had the right idea that books shouldn't be censored (Easy for me to say, i don't have kids, lol)
ReplyDeleteJamie (jannghi.blogspot.com): I remember the Sweet Dreams and Silhouette romances for Teens. I had a lot of those. The Sweet Dreams books were at my junior-high school library, but they seemed to always be checked out! I only ever got to check two of them.
ReplyDeleteI remember getting those iffy books from my best friend's dad, who loved pulp fiction. We mowed through books as youngsters. In college I got burned out on reading but am back in the saddle now.
ReplyDeleteI agree that reading is good and shouldn't be censored, but yeah, I get why those books would have damaged your self-esteem. When Fifty Shades was big, I had a teen girl bring it to school, and she was determined to read it. Ultimately, I did nothing to stop her, but that was also due to context. We were at the continuation high school, and I was not surprised that she got bored after reading the first page.
ReplyDeleteWow, great comments! Thank you all for visiting my blog!
ReplyDeleteI remember secretly reading Mills and Boons. Your post made me nostalgic. https://trinalooksback.wordpress.com/2026/04/03/c-for-cinema/
ReplyDelete