![]() |
| Horsing around in Ohio with a cousin |
Welcome to my April A2Z posts! This time, I am officially signed up on the challenge sheet and will be visiting other bloggers on the list. My theme is "misty memories," which will include a bunch of rambling about old stuff in my life, and hopefully some of it will be accurate, but if not, there's no one around to contradict me. Today we continue with H for Horse.
I sucked at all team sports. The anxiety over the idea of messing up and having everyone mad at me ensured that my focus was scattered, and then I always messed up. Nobody wanted me on their team, just like in the song (“At Seventeen”). I was one of the last to be chosen every time, which made me dread gym class and everything associated with it. I never “failed” gym due to the fact that at some point each quarter there would be a written test on the sports we learned, and of course I would get a high score on that.
I rode my bike a lot and swam sometimes. Jumped rope a ton in our Illinois basement when it was snowy out and I was obsessed with my weight. As a teenager, I ordered odd gadgets off the TV to exercise with, like a pulley thing to attach to a door. Unfortunately, as I aged, I began to have back problems, so I had to stop doing jarring types of exercise, including my beloved hopscotch. Running/ jogging was never my thing, but I've always loved walks. Not hikes! Just regular walking, which is supposed to be the best thing for you anyway.
Once, when I was around 12, I rode a horse when we visited my mom's family in Ohio. I was so achy the next day! I think that was the only time I've been on one, and if I tried it now, my back would hurt so much afterward I'd probably need a wheelchair. I also fed a baby goat with a bottle and fell in love with a litter of kittens that crawled all over me. That was all during the same visit. A few years later, I was trying to catch bugs for a science project while we visited, but they got so gross in the preservative that I threw them all out and wrote a report instead.
This post drifted all over the place, but that's how misty memories are...

I loved riding horses, but then I developed a wicked bad allergy to them. So, I had to content myself with angry looks from people when I rode those mechanical horses in front of department stores for a quarter. Now, even THEY don't exist.
ReplyDeleteI loved riding horses, too, but like Al above I was allergy to them, got hives on my legs every time I went which as often since I had a crush on the son of the stable owner and I could ride for free...until my mom made me quit.
ReplyDeleteJumping rope is back again as an adult exercise. If you've never seen Dayan Kolev's videos on Facebook, look him up.
Al and MoW, I didn’t realize people could be allergic to horses!
ReplyDeleteSounds very familiar. I was just never interested in sports and never any good at them. Nobody picked me for their teams either, not that I especially wanted them to.
ReplyDeleteI have never ridden a horse, but I have ridden a camel (in the Jordanian desert in 1979). It was very tame and there was a proper Bedouin leading it.
I've never ridden a horse. I've been around one, once at a friends place.
ReplyDeleteI have gone horseback riding a few times. I absolutely love horses!
ReplyDeleteWarm greetings from a retired lady living in Montreal, Canada.
Infidel, very cool experience!
ReplyDeleteMary, they are beautiful animals ❤️
I was terrible at sports as a kid, gym was a flippin nightmare. then i found horses... i was 11 and had no idea then that i'd still be riding 30 years later.
ReplyDeleteHorse seems to be a popular theme for today. I loved hopscotch back in the day. And I loved to jump rope. I even learned to do double dutch. That was the best.
ReplyDelete(I hated PE so much I joined marching band. No PE in high school. Bliss.)
Paula, did you have a back injury? So sorry it happened when you were so young. I was never much for group sports either. I used to play a lot of frisbee and was good at it, but my aim isn't that great anymore. Riding my bike is the exercise I like best nowadays.
ReplyDeleteIdea-ist, so great that you discovered your passion early on!
ReplyDeleteLiz, I first titled my post “Hopscotch,” but then I found the horse pic, so I switched 😀
Lisa, I have scoliosis, and in my mid 20’s it began to cause me pain, so I had to give up certain activities. Biking sounds like great exercise!