Monday, May 18, 2026

Frayed

Doggos in the desert image from Sam

Favorite books display their age:

A little frayed around the spine.

Sometimes I may dog ear a page;

Favorite books display their age.

Librarian is in a rage—

Don’t highlight and don’t underline! 

Favorite books display their age:

A little frayed around the spine 

~*~

Triolet quadrille (structured 44 words) written for the dVerse #248 prompt of dog. I was also inspired by some book-loving folks who want their books to stay in pristine condition forever. That's ideal, I guess, but my favorites are well loved with creases and wrinkles, just like old comfortable people, like myself. Generally, I use bookmarks (which include my phone), but I have occasionally dog-eared a paperback or flopped a book flat open on its face. These would be books I own of course, not borrowed ones!

12 comments:

  1. Owning the book makes all the difference. Underlining or highlighting in a library book would be vandalizing someone else's property. If you own a book you can do what you want with it.

    I can't do things like that with a book, though. It just doesn't feel right. Favorite books still do get frayed, though. My cheap paperback Tolkien is much the worse for wear. I should invest in a sturdier set now that I can afford it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We definitely should be careful with others' stuff!

      Delete
  2. Nowadays they teach the kiddos how to annotate when they read. I would have appreciated those lessons. Maybe I would have become one who made notes in her books. But no. And now I prefer to read digitally.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a lot of well loved books and some that I tried not to crease.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My favorite poetry book from college has completely fallen apart. I have put it away for safekeeping!

      Delete
  4. As a retired librarian, I frown on underlining and dog-earing on library books but feel like everyone is welcome to do what they like to their own books. I have a journaling Bible and it is pretty 'gobbed up' with doodles, color, notes. But would never mark up my copy of Alice's Adventures in Wonderland.
    Enjoyed your poem. My writing group has tried its collective hand at writing verse but I have struggled with following formulas or prescribed structures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Leslie! I like this short form of structured poem. Not sure I could do justice to a sonnet or a sestina these days...

      Delete
  5. I made copious notes in a book once (non-fiction), lent it to a friend, and was roundly criticized for writing notes in my own book. Can't win sometimes.

    A little frayed around the spine describes more than books. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. ..."well loved with creases and wrinkles"- love it! Really neat poem- thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting. All comments will be reviewed by me before they go live. If you are anonymous, please choose a consistent handle to sign your words with. I appreciate your understanding that my comment space is not a free speech zone for personal attacks or sales pitches.