![]() |
| Baked sweet potato with broccoli and sunflower seeds |
I’m participating in the Wednesday Hodgepodge again this week, which is hosted by Joyce @ from this side of the pond.
1. What do you make more complicated than it needs to be?
Hmm, pretty much everything including this question. The older I get, the fuzzier things appear (cleans glasses), and further possibilities sprout up like little forest mushrooms after a rain. I'm not talking about math, normal daily routines, or other things with clear answers (although the higher up you go in math, the fuzzier that gets too), but complex questions and new issues that require new decisions. Take Social Security, the supplement, and a drug plan, all of which I signed up for this year. OMG, how I agonized over all that! In general, I'm happy to take the advice of other people, especially my daughters, most of whom know more than I do, and ~ more importantly ~ seem confident in what they're doing.
2. What impresses you?
Confidence, hah. Creativity, humor, kindness, empathy.
3. On a scale of 1-10 how picky of an eater are you? (1=extremely and 10=not at all) If you had to eat a meal made entirely of one color what color would you choose?
This is a complicated question because on the one hand, I stick with the same basic meals and do not require nor generally desire anything fancy, but on the other hand, when I'm confronted with a list of foods many people hate, I'm fine with most of them, even if I usually don't eat them. For example, I love coconut, sushi, shrimp, oysters, mushrooms, olives, beets, eggplant, tofu, blue cheese, etc., but I don't usually eat any of that because I generally have the same boring salads and sandwiches and fruit. As I age, out of necessity I avoid a lot of fried food and other things that give me indigestion, so maybe overall I'm a 7.
I guess I would choose orange for my single-color meal because I could have cantaloupe to start, then a baked sweet potato, and uh... pumpkin pie for dessert!
4. What does balance in life mean to you? Does your life currently feel 'balanced'?
To me, balance means that I work normal business hours, chat with my family most days (texting), hang out with friends on the weekend (a few times a month), and still have enough time for reading, writing, chores/ errands, puzzles, and loads of kitty snuggles. I am lucky in that my life feels balanced currently, though sometimes at the end of the month I have to work overtime.
5. If you could travel the world for a year what would be your first destination?
I absolutely would not want to do this, no matter how much money I had. I would miss my family too much and also Inky! How could I leave Inky? I don't even like to be gone for one night.
6. Insert your own random thought here.
Websites lately are so irritating, though I still find Blogger vastly preferable to WordPress (and I'm never going back). Whether it's an online store or a news site, you're bombarded with pop-ups and ads, and it's hard to even read an article anymore without being harassed. For example, I used to read People magazine to get the dish on celebs, but it's so obnoxious that I can no longer deal with it. Articles hang up before they finish loading because the ads are taking too long. On the other hand, sometimes an Instagram ad looks interesting, so I think OK let's see what this is all about. Nope. I can't even view whatever thing it is because the company would rather pester me to sign up for emails and deals than let me view the product in peace. You know what this reminds me of? In the olden days, we used to browse in meatspace stores (how quaint!), and salespeople were constantly pestering us with small talk and asking what we're looking for. We hated that then, and we hate it online!

I'm not a picky eater in the slightest.
ReplyDeleteHaha, my dad had to badger me for months to try sushi :)
DeleteI like variety in food but am not good at making it for myself. I like your choice of orange! I would like that meal, too! As for balance: I personally feel I lack it; I'm not feeding my spiritual/inner/creative self well. That would not be resolved by traveling for a year. Ad blockers are your friend. I wouldn't be able to handle half the stuff I read/watch on the web without silencing ads.
ReplyDeleteTraveling brings its own set of stresses...
DeleteCompletely agree with #6. Ad blocker helps, but it's not a panacea.
ReplyDeleteYeah, sometimes I just have to nope out and work on a puzzle :)
DeleteSome things are sort of worth making complicated. You wouldn't want to rush with Social Security or your drug plan and end up with a bad deal. Once you've set up Social Security you shouldn't ever need to deal with it again (I've been on it three and a half years with zero problems).
ReplyDeleteI can't imagine not wanting to travel, if I were healthy enough again and had the money. I guess people's wants really are different.
For internet ads, I strongly recommend uBlock Origin. It's very easy to set up and runs completely unobtrusively. I haven't seen an ad on the internet for years now, but I can remember how some sites (especially YouTube) were practically unusable before I had an ad blocker.
Thanks Infidel!
DeleteI've tried sweet potato and I dislike it.
ReplyDeleteBut I don't think I'm a picky eater at all.
Not everything is for everyone!
DeleteOne of these days these online companies will realize the bombardment is detrimental. But not soon. I am a picky eater, but that's normal for my neurospicy ailment, so it doesn't concern me too much.
ReplyDeleteNothing wrong with wanting your favorites :)
DeleteDitto all over the place on this post. Overthink - EVERYTHING!! Give me orange food - harvest soup, sweet potato fries, pumpkin pie. And traveling for a year would be miserable, a no-go for me. I loved our 2-week getaway recently but that was about 2 days too long.
ReplyDeleteI get very frustrated by all the blog ads and monetization. It is often hard to read the articles for the ads.
Right on! :)
DeleteI couldn't get past the picture at the top of the page- I never would have thought of broccoli & sunflower seeds on my sweet potato!! I think I would need to try it, tho!
ReplyDeleteIt's so tasty!
DeleteIt's so tasty!
DeleteI so related to your answer for #1...even how to answer the questions here can be overcomplicated - lol! It is nice to get advice from others when the big decisions come!
ReplyDeleteRight? Then we can blame them if they're wrong!
DeleteI so agree with you on the ads. I should have said the Hodgepodge as my answer to #1, although after several years of doing this I've learned to go with my first thought. Mostly : ) Have a great day!
ReplyDeleteYou too, Joyce! I'm enjoying the questions :)
DeleteThe weather channel website has so many pop ups!! I really don't like that!! Orange food sounds good!
ReplyDeleteUgh! My phone weather app has no ads, thank goodness
DeleteI like your answer to question question four and I like the looks of that sweet potato with sunflower seeds (I could do without the broccoli). I hate all the online ads! Some websites are way too full of them.
ReplyDeleteToo many and I am out! Thanks for the visit, Maria :)
DeleteI overcomplicate everything. The older I get the harder it is to make decisions.
ReplyDeleteAhh! The pop ups are frustrating, especially on news websites. I have an ad-blocker on but some still sneak through. Ugh!