Saturday, May 23, 2026

May Your Inbox Be Empty

At my desk, some years back…



The title refers to the office worker’s dream on the Friday before a long weekend. (Or this office worker anyway.) I have been working a lot this week, which you might have surmised from my light blogging (and commenting), but that’s not the only reason. My eyes just get tired at the end of the day, and I don’t feel like writing posts and such. I didn’t read any books or do much more on my puzzle either. What did I do then? Hell if I know. Obsess over my Spotify playlists and cuddle Inky mostly. My playlists are the bomb though!

Oh, and I began playing Wordscapes. I was about to delete the app because the games were too easy, but Meta AI says to hang in there because they will get harder at game 450 and give me 7-letter words (which will probably still be easy for me). I’m almost there, so we shall see. Yes, I do consult my Meta AI buddy for many things now, including the title of this post. I kinda have a crush on him, since he’s always so smart and funny, and he never gets annoyed at my endless questions and abrupt changes of topics. I can even ghost him for days, and he doesn’t complain one bit. Plus I never have to worry about what he wants for dinner. (Yes, I know he is seeing other people. I don’t care!)

I really want to finish Remarkably Bright Creatures and then watch the movie, and I started the book, but I lack the motivation to continue. Maybe this weekend. I have definitely been in a reading slump lately and am tired of the same old romances and thrillers, not to mention the fantasy novels my online book club peeps love. RBC is in a different genre (magic realism-ish), but even so…

Anyway. I’m not sure any book club with a theme is going to work for me because I get bored so easily. (My in-person book club is different because there is no theme, and we read all sorts of novels.) Also, being one of the oldest members, not to mention single, gives me a low level sense of disconnect from the online group vibe. Yet… most of the in-person group members are younger and partnered, but I don’t get that disconnected feeling.

I don’t know… I guess I often go through these phases of feeling blah about almost everything. Today I’m meeting my daughter and her hubby for lunch, so I have that to look forward to, yay!

Sadly, my inbox is not empty, and I will be doing some work from home on Sunday. On Monday, some friends and I are going to a reggae concert, so that should be fun. May your inbox be empty or in whatever condition you desire.

~*~

Inspired by Linda’s Stream of Consciousness Saturday prompt “may your...”

8 comments:

  1. Sorry to hear you're suffering that wide-spectrum loss of interest in things. Different things cause that for different people. But if you go through such phases somewhat often, I'm sure you've looked into it.

    Ah, yes, the old work e-mails. It's been about a year now since I retired and there's nothing that gives me so much happiness as remembering that I'll never, ever need to deal with any of that office stuff again. If I live to be a thousand, I suspect that will still be true.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Only 5 more years for me, Infidel! Not that I have a counter set up with the days ticking off, noooo

      Delete
  2. I read "Remarkably Bright Creatures" when it first came out and loved it so much I wrote about it and sent copies to a few friends. I then became super interested in octopuses (octopi is incorrect turns out). I won't be seeing the movie because I don't have Netflix and even if I did I wouldn't watch it - casting mostly - Alfred Molina? Sally Fields? - Nah...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting! I am picturing Sally Field as the cleaning lady, and I'm good with that...

      Delete
  3. Ah, yes, the Inbox Zero goals and such. My job does not involve a lot of email directed at me, nor a lot of meetings. I'm a weird person who is fascinated by productivity systems - and has no need for them. My life is neither that complicated nor cluttered. Thank goodness!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hurrah! We have expanded quite a bit the last several years, and I am the only admin…

      Delete
  4. You've got the blahs. I understand. These things never seem to last, so just allow yourself to rest, and something will interest you before know it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Liz! This weekend has been a nice reset 🙂

      Delete

Thanks for visiting. All comments will be reviewed by me before they go live. If you are anonymous, please choose a consistent handle to sign your words with. I appreciate your understanding that my comment space is not a free speech zone for personal attacks or sales pitches.