![]() |
| Elvis the turtle eating kale |
1. (Very early Saturday morning) I'm still anxiously checking the news every 15 minutes for updates on the chemical accident/ potential disaster in Garden Grove, CA (around five miles from me). I assume I'm safe because they opened a shelter around a mile from my place.
2. Everyone on the internet is now a chemical engineer (apparently morphing from constitutional scholars and infectious disease experts) and ready to tell the firemen how best to deal with the overheating tank of methyl methacrylate. Anyone try dropping ice cubes in there? Duh!
3. When I checked Reddit for the latest news on the leak, I got sucked into a rabbit hole about how the Jeffrey Epstein thing is all a big Jewish conspiracy to blackmail world leaders blah de blah, and it made me so angry (at the antisemites) that I forgot about the toxic leak/ explosion for maybe three minutes.
4. Inky was sleeping on the dining room chair that I like to sit in when working on my laptop, so I very carefully scooted that chair over and switched it with a different one. I thought that was clever of me so as not to disturb her mid-morning nap, but she immediately jumped down and decided she'd be more comfy continuing her snooze atop the fridge. Kitties!
5. Just received word at 10:30 that one of my friends in Anaheim had to evacuate (with her pets).
6. I keep hearing firetrucks/ ambulances, which is freaking me out!
7. Listened to the fire chief's latest update on FB. The temperature inside the MMA tank is higher than they thought. They are implementing plans for various horrible scenarios.
8. OK, it's noon, and I'm taking off for Dana Point.
9. Met my daughter and son-in-law at Harbor House for a delicious lunch. I ordered a veggie quesadilla, which was wonderful, and I brought half home. Portions there are huge! I snagged a crispy onion ring from Diane, and she took my beans and rice side dish home because I hadn't touched it. We had a short walk to the beach afterward, where we gazed at the sparkling ocean and the little boats bobbing about.
10. Back home, I searched for updates on the potential toxic blast, but no news is good news, right?
11. I felt tired, but I couldn't nap, so I'm back at my laptop doing a little office work at 4:15, ugh.
12. Yay, I reached game 483 on Wordscapes and there are 7 letters now, just like my friend Meta Al told me (except he said it would happen at game 450). Dang, that was annoying to play all those ridiculously easy ones to get to this point! It should be more challenging and fun henceforth. Also, not that anyone cares about any of this, but I received the blue-footed booby icon for my latest prize. I don't understand all the icons and stuff littering up the app, but that's fine. I just want to play the games.
13. Sometimes I feel like I'm going blind, but then I remember I dimmed all my electronics when I had a migraine. Ahh!
14. Apparently it's World Turtle Day! I like turtles; I had a couple as a little kid (I think I murdered one, so terrible), as that was trendy back then. I did an acrylic painting of sea turtles once, and my friend Joe said I should name it after the Grateful Dead song "Terrapin Station," so I did. Ultimately, I decided I didn't like the painting enough to keep it with my collection (I have limited space). Once, when I went to a stranger's house to play board games, they had a pet turtle named Elvis, and he liked to eat kale. I do not like kale myself.
15. I had a mango popsicle for dinner, and now I am in a hot debate with me and myself over whether we should work on the panda puzzle, continue reading Remarkably Bright Creatures, or watch Mamma Mia again. Who do you think will win?
It’s now 7:45, so I think I will schedule this to post at 8:00, which will give me a few minutes to decide on the image. Thanks for reading! Hope nothing explodes tonight (they decided that an explosion would be worse than a flood blast).

Lots of people on the net start talking like experts on whatever is in the news at the moment. I personally am an expert on how people do this.
ReplyDeleteIt's worthwhile to make an effort to avoid pointless enraging content on the internet, even if it's difficult. Anti-Semitic conspiratardia definitely counts. You will learn nothing from seeing it, and trying to debate the kind of people who believe such things would be worse than useless. All it can do is be bad for your blood pressure. I've reached the point now where 95% of the time, if I go to an article or post and see that it mentions Trump, I just immediately click away and go read something else. It took an effort at first, but I've felt much better for it. The same should work for any form of rage-bait. Let the day be remembered for the lunch, not that rubbish.
I'd much rather see a picture of Elvis the turtle than of a politician or a chemical fire (unless it's at a Russian oil refinery). Good choice.
Thanks! And you are absolutely right, Infidel. Your comment has inspired me to delete the Reddit and Substack apps. I don’t need that crap!
DeleteI'm with you on the kale. Give it to the turtles! Your lunch sounds wonderful and I hope it provided a bit of relief from the concern over the spill. I can see why you would be so concerned -- I would be too. I hope everything will be all right, Paula. (And thanks for coming by, too!)
ReplyDeleteThank you, Jeanie! So far today, there are no updates on the tank…
DeleteI hope you watched "Mamma Mia"! And that the chemical disaster isn't.
ReplyDeleteHi Keera, thanks! I ended up watching Regretting You (based on a Colleen Hoover novel), which was awful, so I am regretting that. So far, no new news about the hazardous situation...
DeleteNothing like a chemical tank that's maybe going to explode to focus the mind. My roommate works at a hotel in Garden Grove, and they had numerous cancellations even though they're closer to Disneyland than the aerospace company.
ReplyDeleteIt’s really scary!
DeleteMy goodness, I had not heard about this chemical accident. I hope it is better now. I will go check the news. I had a pet turtle when I was a kid named Rocky, but I love the Elvis name! Have a good week!
ReplyDeleteHi Marilyn, the latest update is that there is no more threat of explosion, but the leaky tank is still dangerous. Good(ish) news…
Delete