![]() |
| Inky pinky painting |
I'm participating in the Hodgepodge again this week, which is hosted by Joyce. She sure comes up with some great questions!
1. June 17th, 1994 was the day of the infamous O.J. Simpson car chase. What were you doing in 1994? I'm guessing somebody is going to tell me they weren't born yet but that's part of the fun of the Hodgepodge. Lots of generations are represented here.
In June of 1994, I was a 33 year-old SAHM, so I imagine that I was doing mommyish things and not paying much attention to the news. I vaguely knew this big event was happening, but I had way more important stuff going on, like coloring with my daughters and baking cookies.
2. What's your favorite summer salad that isn't the traditional tossed green lettuce kind of salad? Do you like fresh fruit in a salad (other than in a fruit salad of course)?
I love fruit salad and fruit in any green salad, especially berries and mango. My favorite summer salad is the strawberry poppyseed chicken salad at Panera (check it out).
3. Is chivalry dead? Should it be?
Chivalry is a double-edged sword, pardon the pun. Obviously the old-timey chivalry with knights and jousts and stuff is dead, except at Medieval Times and Renaissance Fairs, but we now use the term to describe "gentlemanly" type of behavior. While it may seem nice for men to be especially courteous to and protective of women, and also pick up the check, that often comes with a price. I think we all know what that price is. The concept seems pretty dead to me these days, but I have aged out of that world, so I guess I don't really know. Personally, I'm fine with not having those things and not being expected to do anything in return either. As far as holding doors/ elevators, that's just general politeness ~ people do it for each other regardless of gender, which is how it should be.
4. Would you rather spend a week of your summer vacation in Hawaii or Alaska? Have you ever been to either? Are they two places you really would like to see? How do you feel about 'Hawaiian pizza' aka pineapple on a pizza? Have you ever eaten Baked Alaska?
Neither, as I dislike traveling and being away from home/ kitty. I've been to Hawaii a few times, and it was nice. Friends have taken Alaskan cruises, and the photos look interesting, though cruises appeal to me even less than vacations in general. I'm totally fine with Hawaiian pizza, though I probably wouldn't order it, as I prefer an all-veggie pizza. We had Baked Alaska at my second wedding (1988), which was a terrible idea (not mine). It was dramatic and tasted fine, but I missed having a real cake.
5. World Cup play is happening now...are you interested? Watching any matches? Did you or your children play soccer/futbol? There are eleven US cities hosting matches--Atlanta, Boston, Dallas, Houston, Kansas City, Los Angeles, Miami, New York with the stadium in NJ, Philadelphia, San Francisco, and Seattle along with three cities in Mexico (Guadalajara, Mexico City and Monterrey) and two in Canada (Toronto and Vancouver). You get free tickets to one of these matches. Which city do you choose? Tell us why.
I have zero interest in any sporting events. My daughters did not play soccer. I guess I would take the free tickets to the Los Angeles games and give them away to someone who'd enjoy them.
6. Insert your own random thought here.
On Saturday, my friend Lisa and I had dates ~ literally. She brought over hot honey sushi (don't judge; it's delicious!) and date rolls with coconut. We watched the first part of the HBO Billy Joel documentary (I already saw the whole thing, but she hadn't), and will watch part two in a few weeks. It's excellent! The reason I resubscribed to HBO is because House of the Dragon is returning for the third season next Sunday, and that's one of the rare shows I enjoy. (See, I can suspend my disbelief for dragons!) It's been a while since I subbed, so I clicked on the cancel button to see what it would entail, and they thought I was cancelling right then, so they offered me half price for three months. LOL! I guess I will have HBO until October now. Any movie recs? Since it's so long between seasons and my brain is stuffed with so much junk, I am rewatching S2 of Dragon this week to prepare.
Yesterday (Sunday), my coworker and I did a "paint your pet" session at Pino's Palette. No, we don't put paint on the pet! We paint from a photo. She did her cute poodle-type doggo, which came out great, and I painted Inky. Because we needed room for her tail, the canvas has an area that needs "more," as you can see in the above image, so I ordered some large black stickers from Amazon to spell out her name on the left side. I'm really pleased with my painting, especially the eyes!
Today (Monday) I took the day off from work and will be driving up to Los Angeles in a few hours to see my granddaughter in her first ballet recital. I'm happy I can do this, as I don't get to see the kiddos all that often. Living an hour's drive away (at the best of times) sounds close, and it's certainly closer than a plane flight, but it's not like I can just pop in whenever. Visits are always planned around work and school.
That was more of a recap than a random thought!

Ah 1994. I remember it well. I was working at the evil toy store (now defunct). I was probably at work during the infamous car chase. (I know I didn't watch it.)
ReplyDeleteI'd love to go to Alaska. I wouldn't care to see the soccer tournament either even though LA is close.
I keep my HBO subscription for John Oliver and The Gilded Age. Have you seen The Gilded Age? Awesome. I only got into it as it was by the creator of Downton Abbey. He has some collaboration by Americans, so it works.
Thanks for the rec!
DeleteI'm not interested in sporting events either. Boston might be interesting, for the history. I didn't pay much attention to the OJ Simpson thing even while it was happening. I don't think I even knew who he was then.
ReplyDeleteAgree on Boston…
DeleteI like your Inky pinky painting! I've been to the Alaska panhandle (cruise) and it was just like Norway: Wet, forested, and the sides of the mountains went straight down into deep fjords. The difference was where Norway has birch growing out of sheer rock, Alaska has sitka spruce. And since Norway has made it to the world cup for the first time in 28 years (for the guys; the ladies have consistently made it since 1991), I think I should watch at least one match. Due to time difference that's hard to do but I'm having a staycation this week so I can stay up as late as I want (or am able to).
ReplyDeleteThanks Keera! I need a staycation ~ one day was not enough 😀
DeleteYour painting came out great. I've tried painting a few times and I'm hard pressed to even draw a stick figure. lol
ReplyDeleteThanks Mary! 🖤
DeleteCruises hold zero appeal for me too. I love that you did a pet painting. One year for Christmas our girls had a painting made of our Setter from a photograph and it is perfectly her. Have a great day!
ReplyDeleteThanks Joyce! You too!
DeleteYou painting is great!! I am so impressed. I don't draw very well nor paint well. I enjoyed your answers.
ReplyDeleteThank you, Lisa!
DeleteLove your cat painting. I have a cat, named Susie. I take photos of her but haven't tried painting her.
ReplyDeleteDebby, it’s really fun! I hope you try painting Susie 😻
DeleteOh enjoy that sweet dance recital! I am going to Alaska later this summer for the first time, so excited to see a new part of our country. Have a good week!
ReplyDeleteThanks Marilyn! You too!
DeleteI remember the days of missing things going on in the world when I was doing all the mommyish things.
ReplyDeleteI do like the sound of an Alaskan cruise but Hawaii would be my choice just for the warm weather.
I have just discovered hot honey and I am obsessed with it, the sushi and date rolls sound good! Ohh! I didn't know there was a new season of House of Dragons coming, thanks for the heads up. The paint your pet session sounds like fun and I hope you had a lovely day seeing your granddaughter in her first ballet recital.
Thanks Kim! It’s great to find another House of the Dragon fan!
DeleteEnjoyed your answers and it seems like you had a nice weekend
ReplyDeleteThanks Kirstin!
Delete