![]() |
| Pegasus, mythical like my soulmate |
I searched for the mythical grail
Every night on the internet
Joined dating sites to no avail
I searched for the mythical grail
Never imagined I would fail
Fell hard into depression’s debt
I searched for the mythical grail
Every night on the internet
~*~Triolet quadrille (structured 44 words) written for dVerse’s Quadrille #250 (myth). I sometimes think about those 5 years I wasted post-divorce looking for my mythical “soulmate” when I could have been doing more reading, writing, or painting.

I've never believed people have "soul mates". There is the occasional person out there who is the right combination of empathetic, interesting, hot, and whatever other traits you value that you're happier being with them than being single. Even at best it's almost never going to last a lifetime, because people change over time. And I think most people get more selective as they get older. There's no such thing as a match that is perfect or "meant to be".
ReplyDeleteDating websites are a waste of time. I wouldn't recommend that to anyone.
I don’t believe in souls as a separate thing from the body, but I do use the soulmate term as a shorthand for an intense emotional, physical, intellectual connection. I have a lot of opinions about dating sites! First, I think they were better 15+ years ago before the deluge of scammers. The sites do NOTHING to stop fake profiles. I do know people who have found lasting relationships via dating sites, but none of those are recent. Second, I agree that the older you get, the more selective you become, or should, if you want to avoid past mistakes. Third, it’s hard to navigate a romantic relationship when you already each have a lifetime behind you as opposed to creating one together, and you can’t encapsulate that lifetime in a fun, flirty profile. One of my big stopping points is… how can anyone really know me now if they’ve never met my parents 🙁
Delete