Monday, June 29, 2026

No Plan is My Jam

Group photo of the Mamma Mia 2 cast 


Don’t read this if you’re going to get all offended that I have no plan to celebrate the upcoming July 4 holiday, other than the fact that any three-day weekend is cause for at least a little yippee.

My daughters and I are processing the recent death of my ex-husband (their father) last week and are not in a celebratory mood, not that we usually make a big deal over July 4 in any case.

Sometimes my friends and I go to a concert and/ or a fireworks show on the 4th, but most of these peeps are traveling this year, and I am not inclined to go alone, not that I could get tickets to anything at this late date.

It’s more than that though: I am very disappointed in the direction of this country lately, so I don’t feel like rah-rah-ing over its big birthday, though I will likely wear my red, white, and blue shirt and matching star earrings on Saturday because why not?

I’m looking forward to three quiet days of hanging with my sweet kitty Inky (and my housemate’s cat Autumn, though she isn’t super social), having a lot of reading time, working on a puzzle or two, maybe doing a little painting… and of course rewatching the Mamma Mia movies. 

I’m definitely not looking forward to drunken lunatics screaming all night and setting off illegal fireworks in the streets, but that’s the price of “freedom,” I guess.

~*~

Written for Denise’s Six Sentence Story using plan.

12 comments:

  1. We're not planning much of anything - just my adult kids over for a BBQ on Friday. On the actual 4th, we'll stay home. Too crazy out there.
    I'm truly sorry about your loss - spending time with your daughters is more important.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That tends to be my default for most holidays--no plans whatsoever. I just didn't want to deal with the 4th this year here, so that's why I'm travelling. My sister-in-law is planning a big potluck at her place. Of course, that means I have to take a plane...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Again, so sorry to hear of the Passing of the Ex so suddenly, it's hard on Kiddos to lose a Parent, so may your Daughters find Comfort during this difficult time of Mourning their Dad. I too don't like the direction of this Country, a shame our 250th is spoiled by whose Leading America right now and threatening everything we could be Proud of as Americans and our way of Life in what has been an enviable Democracy for 250 Years. Makes me wonder if we'll even have a 251st or not? I don't plan to do anything tho' perhaps some of the Fireworks Displays will be amped up for a Big Birthday Bash that is a Milestone??? We don't usually do anything either, even on Years I could feel Patriotic and Hopeful, it's a challenge this Year even tho' I do think we still live in the best place on Earth and Hope we can restore what this Lunatic and his Cabal of Vulgarians has wrecked? Your Three Quiet Days sound restorative, I think that's what we all can use some of... feeding our Souls right now is important.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes indeed. We need to do a lot of self-care to get through this…

      Delete
  4. I have no plans for the 4th. My wife has to work so it'll be just me and the cats. My affinity for fireworks? Yeah, they lost their appeal decades ago.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I’m glad you’ll be home to comfort the kitties!

      Delete
  5. My condolences to your daughters (and you, if you want it).

    The 250th should be an absolute Big Deal, but compared to the 200th, it just feels - joyless. And it should be an absolute joy to be celebrating one's country. Sorry it isn't.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jamie here: No plans here either. People in my town will start setting off fireworks before the 4th and continue to do after the holiday. This happens every year, and many people get annoyed by it.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting. All comments will be reviewed by me before they go live. If you are anonymous, please choose a consistent handle to sign your words with. I appreciate your understanding that my comment space is not a free speech zone for personal attacks or sales pitches.