| AI generated image of a golden and a wolf |
(I'm participating in the Friday Challenge from When Words Collide, which asks us to create a conversation between two characters, imaginary or otherwise. I chose my daughter’s golden retriever Rory and an imaginary wolf. Please check out Fandango's excellent take too ~ I found the challenge via his blog. PS: I changed Rory's gender for the story.)
Rory (happy face): Hi! How are you? Isn't it a gorgeous day?
Wolf (annoyed): It was. Until you showed up. Do you realize that you just spooked the rabbit I was hunting, and now I won't have any breakfast?
Rory (sad face): Huh? Breakfast? Did you not get fed? I'm so sorry!
Wolf: Get fed? Oh right. You're one of those.
Rory: One of what?
Wolf (sniffs in disgust): A pampered pet. You live inside a comfy prison where your guards give you a handful of kibble twice a day. While I, on the other paw, enjoy the great outdoors, hunting my own food, and doing whatever I please.
Rory (tail wags): But I love kibble! It's so yummy!
Wolf (rolls eyes): You should be ashamed of yourself. You were once one of us, a great hunter, but then they bred you down to retrieve silly birds they shot, and now look at you.
Rory: I know, right? I'm so beautiful! And a good boy too! They tell me every day how wonderful I am and how much they love me.
Wolf: Love? From humans? Feh. You'll never know the joy of having your own mate and pups to carry on your magnificent lineage. I bet you're snipped.
Rory (confused): Snipped? Is that a toy? I love toys!
Wolf: Ugh. You sicken me. If you were part of a pack, you would have no need for humans.
Rory: But I love my humans! They're my pack! Today is bath day, and I'm so excited! I love baths!
Wolf: OMG.
Rory: And I love my sister Lily and our kitty Maui, even though I sometimes wish she wouldn't always hog my bed. I love my bed!
Wolf (licks lips): You have a kitty? Where?
Rory: Back at the RV. Actually, I am a teeny tiny bit lost. I wasn't supposed to wander away from the campground.
Wolf: If you lived like a proper wolf, you would never get lost. I know exactly where I am at every moment due to my excellent sense of direction and smell.
(A voice calls in the distance Rory, Rory!)
Rory (excited): That's my human! He found me! (woofs)
Wolf (slinks away): Enjoy your prison kibble.
Rory (woofs a lot): Here I am! I made a new friend! Where'd he go? What's snipped?
Each doesn't know what they're missing. Probably for the best.
ReplyDeleteIndeed 😀
Delete"Where I, on the other paw . . . " :D
ReplyDeleteGlad you caught that, Roy!
DeleteHeh. I think that's very much how it would go.
ReplyDeleteFor wolves, dogs would be the ultimate body horror, if they had that kind of sensibility. Imagine if we met quasi-humans descended from cave men who had been abducted by aliens thousand of years ago, who had been bred and modified and neutered into humble and willing slaves of the aliens, happy at being that way. We'd be horrified and disgusted.
Interesting premise for a horror novel!
DeleteFun read! Rory is a classic Golden, that's for sure!
ReplyDelete♥️ ♥️ ♥️
ReplyDeleteWhat a delightful conversation! Poor Wolf was trying so hard to convince Rory that he was missing out on the "real" life, while Rory happily proved that love, belly rubs, baths, and kibble might just be the better deal after all. Rory's cheerful innocence stole the show and had me laughing throughout. A wonderfully funny and endearing take on the challenge!
ReplyDeleteThank you! I enjoyed participating 😀
Delete