Tuesday, July 7, 2026

Expectations, Then and Now

Crystal Cove Beach at Laguna, CA (my photo)



I struggled for years
To live up to a standard
Someone else had set
But despite all my efforts
The goal eluded my grasp

~ Beauty begins the moment you decide to be yourself. (Coco Chanel) ~

Slow epiphany
Look inward for my answers
Ignore the static
Find pleasure in small triumphs
That I define for myself

~*~

Tanka Puente was written for Colleen's Tanka Tuesday. This is the first time I've tried this form, and I already love it! 

6 comments:

  1. What an intriguing format! I like it! And I like your result.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's the only way to be. Define your own standards.

    If you live your life the way someone else thinks you should want to live it, you won't get another life to live the way you actually did want to live it.

    At least the standards you set for yourself will serve your own interests, to the best of your ability. Standards set by someone else usually serve theirs, not yours.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your poem offers excellent advice to live your life as you see fit, not how others think you should. Interesting format!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting. All comments will be reviewed by me before they go live. If you are anonymous, please choose a consistent handle to sign your words with. I appreciate your understanding that my comment space is not a free speech zone for personal attacks or sales pitches.