Wednesday, July 8, 2026

Plans and More Plans



Yummy udon noodles (my photo)



I’m noodling over a couple questions in this week’s edition of John Holton’s Writer’s Workshop. Join in, if you like.

What is something the past did better than the present day?

People were better at sticking with plans in the past, at least in my experience, and I attribute this to the lack of cell phones. Before cell phones, it was often difficult to connect with someone at the last minute to change the details of an event or to cancel altogether, so people were more likely to keep to the original plan. Ghosting was rare, in my experience, with dates or otherwise ~  you didn’t want to get a bad reputation as a “flake.”

That said, I love my cell phone, as it allows me to keep in constant touch with my daughters via texts and pics. Otherwise, I would probably only hear from them once a week with a phone call like we did in the days of old. Oh, and FaceTime lets me see and chat with my grands at random times! Love that. 

What do you hope to accomplish in the second half of this year?

As I have mentioned before (and will likely mention again, bwahahaha), I began an exercise program on June 1. It was Leslie Sansone’s 30 Day Challenge to “burn and firm.” I stuck to it faithfully, and although I felt good about it, I didn’t really notice any improvement in my physical appearance. However, it’s now a week into the second month, and not only have I kept up the exercise habit, I’ve also increased the level. I bought heavier hand weights, stretchy bands, and a bunch of new Leslie vids so I don’t get bored. While a couple months back, 20 minutes of light walking exhausted me, last night I did 3 miles (42 minutes), plus a floor routine for “sculpting.” I was tired afterward, but not excessively. 

Finally, I am noticing that my body is leaner and more toned, so during the second half of 2026, I want to keep increasing my fitness level, both for health and vanity reasons. My blood pressure is lower already, and I am hoping that my cholesterol numbers will be better when I get my physical in a few weeks, but who knows. Even with exercise and eating right, this may be more of a genetic issue. They say that balance will improve as the core strengthens, so hopefully that will help me avoid falls, which is sadly a common problem among the elderly. 

I also want to switch up my reading to get out of the thriller/ romance rut, and I have started doing that (a little), and I hope to find my painting spark again, as I really enjoy it once I am in the mood.

Wish me luck with my plans! It’s not only about having willpower and motivation… I also need the universe not to throw impediments in my way, such as blackouts and backaches.

14 comments:

  1. Congratulations on sticking to your self-improvement plan! I always give up after a while, when results don't come. This is good inspiration to give it another try. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! This is probably the longest I’ve consistently stuck with an exercise routine!

      Delete
  2. Something in the past which did better than it does today? Simple! That would be my p...oh. I've said too much.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations on sticking to the fitness plan - and being inspired to keep going! I'm a bit envious, honestly.

    ReplyDelete
  4. 20 minutes light walking to 3 miles is quite the accomplishment. I hope you continue to have good luck with your goals!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good luck! Congrats on sticking with it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Paula, thanks for visiting my blog! I enjoyed reading your blog too! I have heard of that author and I think I had her book. I am doing strength training exercises. I am trying to build more muscle. I also have high cholesterol and so did my dad. I think eating carbs makes it worse. I hope your numbers go down. I don't take my medicine like I should. Have a great rest of the week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Susan! All the yummy things are bad, wahhh!

      Delete
  7. Congrats on sticking to your regimen AND seeing results!! That is awesome and must be a great feeling. Funny enough, I started an arm exercise regimen in early June (I run and walk so my legs are strong but my arms are/were very flabby and weak). I sort of think I can see results but maybe it's wishful thinking? I'm looking for some new good authors...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It takes a long time to see results when you’re older, as I am. Let’s stick with the plan!

      Delete
  8. Glad to hear the exercise program is going well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I am taking the night off tonight (Friday)

      Delete

Thanks for visiting. All comments will be reviewed by me before they go live. If you are anonymous, please choose a consistent handle to sign your words with. I appreciate your understanding that my comment space is not a free speech zone for personal attacks or sales pitches.