Friday, July 17, 2026

Flashback Friday: Just Beachy

Crystal Cove, CA (my photo)


I'm participating in Fandango's Flashback Friday today with a poem I found on the Wayback Machine. I posted this on my old WP blog on July 17, 2019.

In Other Words, the beach…

I have always lived near the beach:
East Coast, West Coast, Lake Michigan.
I prefer them at sunrise, cold, and empty,
Their stark majesty revealed to me alone,
Waves whispering secrets from the moon.

10 comments:

  1. Yes, the beach is best when it's empty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You love the sand and waves and sky
    Where junk-food-stealing seagulls fly.
    A beach that's quiet and tourist-free
    To contemplate the chilly sea.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like it.
    I grew up in Redondo Beach, California. We went to the beach every weekend. I miss it. There's no real beach here in Las Vegas. We do have the lake but there's very little beach if any to be found.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was born near the beach in New York City but grew up inland. Beaches were a rare treat as we didn't have a car (back then, car-less families were common in NYC). I haven't visited a beach since 2024. I miss it. I like them empty, too, just to walk and take in the sights of tide and birds.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely. I live near the beach and have chosen to do so whenever I can, so this poem speaks to my soul. - Nat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Nat! Even Lake Michigan, being so huge, felt like a real beach…

      Delete

Thanks for visiting. All comments will be reviewed by me before they go live. If you are anonymous, please choose a consistent handle to sign your words with. I appreciate your understanding that my comment space is not a free speech zone for personal attacks or sales pitches.