Saturday, July 18, 2026

Tech Dreck

Copilot here to help (via Meta AI)



Sometimes
… I catch myself longing for the old days, but then I remove the rose-tinted filter from my glasses and try to deal with the latest technological annoyance that has been foisted upon me. 

Now we have Microsoft Copilot infesting every aspect of our office workstations. Some people don’t mind it, though they are all younger than I am. I don’t need help writing an email! Remember Mr. Paperclip? Copilot is a million times more irritating. Besides, Mr. Paperclip was cute. Maybe they should make Copilot look like an actual pilot of our choice, such as James Bond flying a helicopter or something. Yes, James, I would like this document summarized. How thoughtful!

But I do love my iPhone. It allows me to stay in daily contact with my daughters, as opposed to the weekly update we would get in the days of yore. Sometimes I even get to chat or text with my grands. This is a really nice way to stay in touch when you can’t visit more often than once a month or so.

It’s also great that the social media platforms allow us to stay in contact with friends and possibly relatives that we might not feel like having long involved phone conversations with. Just wanna know you’re still alive! Kthxbye.

I need to keep reminding myself that technology is my friend. Mostly.

~*~

9 comments:

  1. I don't use AI outside of very specific uses because, as Shania Twain would say, it don't impress me much. I also don't use things like Siri; I don't want to be listened to. I like computers and tech and my smartphone and connecting to the whole world, but the Internet of Things and AI seem to me to be overkill.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, I had an Echo Dot for a while and it was just annoying…

      Delete
  2. I love texting/chat, and have been doing that since our first computer in 1996. It *is* great to keep in touch with family.

    The source of my aggravation with technology is the lack of personal choice. "YOUR COMPUTER WILL INSTALL UPDATES NOW"... but... I'm in the middle of something? "NOW!!!"

    My job uses technology, too. We have an app for our kid attendance/billing etc, all in one handy place for parents.But the lovely activity plan calendars I make aren't the same if they are just typed and printed out.

    Just giving us a few choices would be nice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed! It doesn’t seem like we can opt in or out any longer…

      Delete
  3. I just bought myself a new laptop in January. It has windows 11 and copilot on it. I don't use it but there's also no way to get rid of it and I hate that.

    I feel the same way when technology changes. I like things to stay the same and they don't. My old laptop had windows 8 and still worked just fine but I could no longer get on some websites like my bank and credit cards so I had to upgrade.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. “Upgrades” often aren’t! Or so it seems…

      Delete
  4. Funny how the same tech that drives us nuts also keeps us sane by connecting us with family and friends.
    Guess it’s all about balance.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh yes, I so hate AI asking if it can write my email for me. No, I got this.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting. All comments will be reviewed by me before they go live. If you are anonymous, please choose a consistent handle to sign your words with. I appreciate your understanding that my comment space is not a free speech zone for personal attacks or sales pitches.