![]() |
| Dragon guarding jelly beans (Meta AI) |
I like the slang word "jelly" for jealousy. It's softer, lighter, not so murderous. Look at that dragon in the pic: would he set you on fire if you touched his candy stash? Maybe he would, or maybe he'd be only a little bit jelly. Jealousy is more about wanting to keep what you have rather than simply desiring what someone else has (envy). A jealous husband doesn't want men to flirt with his wife; an envious husband wishes he made enough money to afford a fancy car like the guy next door. But we often use the two words interchangeably, and so be it. Everyone knows what we mean, which is the important thing.
Back when I was interested in romantic relationships, I wasn't really a jealous type, as far as worrying about who might be talking to "my" person. I guess I never thought of anyone as "mine" in that way, and it still seems weird to me to claim ownership of someone. I mean, if "my" person would rather go off and be with someone else, then good riddance. Why would you want to be with someone who is no longer interested in you? Ick. That doesn't mean I was into polyamory (not that there's anything wrong with that) ~ it just means that out of all my OCD behaviors, jealousy wasn't among them.
Sometimes people want you to pretend to be jelly (in the romantic sense), so I would go along with that, and vice versa. It all seems so ridiculous now. So much wasted time. But it's easy to feel above it all when I have no interest or desire; back in the day, I definitely wanted to find someone. Now though, I'm too jelly of my free time, my me-time, to squander it on a date. I hoard my non-working hours like precious treasures because every week there are fewer of them left, and at some point, not too far into the future, they'll all be gone. A human lifespan is such a blip, a blink, in the evolution of the universe.
~*~
Written for Linda's Stream of Consciousness Saturday (jelly).

Everything looks cooler with dragons.
ReplyDeleteI agree!
DeleteWe are so much alike in our opinions about relationships and jealousy. I never had time for jealousies and the thought of ownership of a person is a weird concept to me. If someone can walk out of your life, let them, they were never tied to your Destiny. And, to be Fair, relationships have reasons and seasons, sometimes those reasons and seasons change and pass, and people change and evolve, or devolve. I cherish any History I have with anyone I Care about, but some have moved on, or I moved on, and it wasn't so much personal as it was just the ebbs and flows of Life changing constantly and us changing along with it. I'm not who I was and in the Future I doubt I'll be who I am right now... I Hope it will be in enriching positive ways, but there are no guarantees of that. The Man and I kept all our Friends of the Opposite Sex after we Dated and then Married, so many people thought that to be very Liberal for some reason, like we should have jealousies or only same Sex Friends once we were a Couple. Most of my Friends have always been Guys and The Man always had more Female Friends, there's nothing wrong with that, I liked his Friends and he liked mine... so why would be want each other to not have those Friends? I think with most folks it is insecurities unresolved that they have. Or, perhaps they are with someone they cannot Trust and has given them good reason to be distrustful. If you have Trust, Communication, Honesty and mutual Respect, jealousy just isn't an issue.
ReplyDeleteRight on! Love that last sentence!
DeleteYou've reached the point where a relationship is competing with your personal peace of mind. Not a bad thing.
ReplyDeleteDefinitely!
DeleteMy husband of 30 years passed away 5 years ago. I don't plan on dating at all. I miss Ken but I like my free time, reading time and peace.
ReplyDeleteUnderstandable!
DeleteI have taken up using 'jelly' lately. In fact, just typed it in a comment a few minutes ago as in I was jelly of someone's green thumb. It is much softer than JEALOUS. I can get jealous and it isn't pretty but I am usually just jelly.
ReplyDeleteJust jelly! Love it 😍
Delete