![]() |
| My 2023 pumpkin craft project |
In October 2023, I signed up to create a project at Michael's: a cute little crocheted pumpkin. I thought it came out well, so I bought a ton of yarn and a bunch of patterns right then and there with the idea of making a whole harvest of adorable crocheted vegetables. I even ordered a sweet wicker basket from Amazon to hold my upcoming treasures.
What I didn't expect was how difficult the next project would be when I was doing it alone at home without any help from a teacher (I don't find YouTube videos at all helpful for this kind of thing), nor did I expect how tired and achy my hands would get from manipulating the hook hour after hour as I kept ripping out my stitches and redoing them because they were never right. It didn't take long before I gave up the entire project completely, despite having spent a hundred bucks on yarn (not a lot, I know, for real yarn craft people).
The sweet wicker basket now holds my Ty Beanie Babies (I gave most of them away ages ago except for my favorite bears, otters, etc.) plus some newer Beanie Bellies and Beanie Boos, which brings you all up to date regarding my yarn escapades and also my Beanie collection, small as it is compared to the heyday of Beaniedom.
~*~
Written for Denise's Six Sentence Story (yarn).

Ah, well, you still have the pumpkin. But yes, it's generally best not to invest too much in a new hobby until you've been at it long enough to know you're going to stick with it.
ReplyDeleteOne day I will learn this…
DeleteYeah, I totally get this, even though I continued down the yarn path. I have a stash I'm trying to use up now, but I think some of it will be donated by the time I'm through. I have two projects going right now, a summer tank top that I'll have to wear next year and a small, cute, hobo bag. My hands do get somewhat sore, so I let them rest plenty. And, hey, I donated all of my beanie babies except the dogs. The dogs are just so cute that I couldn't part with them. - N
ReplyDeleteI love hobo bags! I hope you share a pic 😀
DeleteI have a project that I think would be good to crochet (vs. knit) but am worried about how tiring it will be for my hand. One of these days I'll find out.
ReplyDeleteMy hands are done with all needlework 😢
DeleteToo bad! Working with yarn is one of my favorite things, though I never make anything complicated, like a sweater.
DeleteMy sister-in-law gave me her yarn stash some years ago, after she finally admitted she was never going to use it. Most of it was stuff I wouldn't have chosen myself, but I made a couple of afghans and gave them to people I thought would like them. I still have a few mismatched skeins left and I'm using them up making scarves for a charity that collects them every fall to give to people in need.
ReplyDeleteAfghans are so pretty… I saw some prize-winning ones at the fair last week
DeleteLovely post. Thanks for sharing.
ReplyDeleteThanks for the visit!
DeleteAmigurumi can be tricky. (I assume these were amigurumi-type projects.) Yeah, it's easier when you have someone who knows what they're doing to help you. (I'd totally help you if you'd like.)
ReplyDeleteThanks Liz! My achy hands say no more…
DeleteI've done that with projects I wanted to do and they ended up being too hard to do.
ReplyDeleteYep, these hobbies are supposed to be fun not stressful!
DeleteThe picture of your pumpkin is not loading but I can imagine a cute pumpkin :). During a festival in our town's historic district late last year, I wandered into an adorable shop called the Wooly Bully Yarn Co housed in a circa early 1800's building that used to be a home. The proprietor started talking to me, no doubt hoping for a sale. Alas, I shared with her my inability to crochet or knit whereupon, she, ever the enterprising sales women, proceeded to tell me about beginner classes the shop offered. The prices were SO reasonable and of course it would be awesome to knot or crochet so I decided I'd take a class in the beginning of the new year. However, as I thought it about it more, I realized I have no desire at this point to take up a new hobby; I'm never bored (loving to read ensures that!), I'm not a creative person by nature, and I just don't need more "things" in my possession. And so I didn't sign up for classes. It's still in the back of my mind- I mean, I'd love to be able to do one of those crafts. I just don't want it enough to dedicate time to it is what I'm saying. Maybe you'll get back into crocheting? At least you know how to do it :).
ReplyDeleteSorry Maria! It should be good now. I had uploaded the image twice by mistake and naturally deleted the wrong one. LOL. I don't think any stitchery type hobbies are in my future, given that my hands get tired and achy so easily. But I still enjoy painting! And puzzles! There are lots of great things left to do :)
Delete