On Poetic Inspiration [sonnet]
I am inspired by a sorrowful tune
To translate tears from my pen to the page;
I am enthused by the silvery moon
To write of loneliness, heartbreak, and rage.
I am beholden to nightmares and dreams
That give me stanzas to take for a spin;
I am grateful for the scams, shams, and schemes
That move my hand to craft lines about sin.
I’m indebted to the sound of the rain
That spreads across my landscape like a bruise;
I am thankful for reminders of pain
That keep this lady well-versed in the blues.
Cheers to whatever mischievous gods fling,
For what inspires me is just... everything!
~*~
Shared from my book Odds and Ends for John Holton's Writer's Workshop, where he asks what inspires us to write.

No comments:
Post a Comment
Thanks for visiting. All comments will be reviewed by me before they go live. If you are anonymous, please choose a consistent handle to sign your words with. I appreciate your understanding that my comment space is not a free speech zone for personal attacks or sales pitches.