Wednesday, August 12, 2026

Everything

Pegasus flying to the moon in a colorful sky (AI)

 

On Poetic Inspiration [sonnet]


I am inspired by a sorrowful tune
To translate tears from my pen to the page;
I am enthused by the silvery moon
To write of loneliness, heartbreak, and rage.

I am beholden to nightmares and dreams
That give me stanzas to take for a spin;
I am grateful for the scams, shams, and schemes
That move my hand to craft lines about sin.

I’m indebted to the sound of the rain
That spreads across my landscape like a bruise;
I am thankful for reminders of pain
That keep this lady well-versed in the blues.

Cheers to whatever mischievous gods fling,
For what inspires me is just... everything!

~*~

Shared from my book Odds and Ends for John Holton's Writer's Workshop, where he asks what inspires us to write.

6 comments:

  1. A great poem about for writers about writing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Paula, thanks for visiting my site. I enjoyed the poem. Sometimes the hard things help us to become women of strength!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beatifully stated, Paula. So much of our writing comes from the difficult challenges we've dealt with.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting. All comments will be reviewed by me before they go live. If you are anonymous, please choose a consistent handle to sign your words with. I appreciate your understanding that my comment space is not a free speech zone for personal attacks or sales pitches.