![]() |
| 13 colorful donuts from AI |
It’s so lovely when you find a Thursday 13 post full of happy thoughts and uplifting messages. This is not one of them.
1. Last Friday, FedEx said they attempted to deliver my box of cat food from Chewy, but they couldn’t get in. I had no record on my phone that they tried to contact me to buzz the gate open.
2. My friend Lisa came over on Saturday and tried to call me from the directory at the gate. I never received a notification on my phone. She texted instead, and I went downstairs to let her in. We tested the buzz, and my phone stayed silent.
3. On Sunday, I played around with the two apps that control the directory-to-phone system, and one of them wasn’t connecting to the internet. I had to delete and reinstall it.
4. My daughter called, and my phone stayed silent. I only knew she had called when I received a missed call notification. I was so angry at my phone. No, I didn’t fling it at the wall and smash it to bits because I am mature now (but I thought about it).
5. I changed some settings, restarted my phone, and it seemed okay-ish. I called myself from the downstairs directory on Monday, and my phone rang like it should. My other daughter gave me a test call, and my phone rang like it should. I still don’t trust it though.
6. In the meantime, FedEx left me a voicemail (I didn’t hear that call either, but my phone was in my purse in another room) and said they made a second attempt to deliver my Chewy box, but they still couldn’t get in. WTF? After three failed attempts, I have to go pick up the box myself in Anaheim. Ughhh!
7. Monday evening, I called the real person who left the FedEx voicemail, and he admitted that FedEx didn’t try to contact me when they showed up and saw the locked gate. (Forget the buzz, they obviously have my actual phone number.) Grrrr! So, the fact that my phone/ gate apps had been upfucked was irrelevant! He promised to send an alert to the area drivers that they had to call me when they returned on Tuesday.
8. I was so annoyed that I contacted Chewy to complain about FedEx. They were sad and gave me a $25 credit, which is great, but it didn’t exactly solve the problem. I figure if enough people complain, Chewy might switch delivery companies or at least threaten to. Maybe they will. Pet food is Big Biz.
9. Instead of doing something productive like blogging, I looked up local pet places to see if I could just go buy Inky’s food myself and forget about Chewy and FedEx. Two nearby stores have Inky’s food, 12 cans per box just like I get through Chewy, but the catch is that if I don’t set up auto delivery (I wonder who the delivery company is, lol), the price will be higher. I decided that if I have to go pick up my Chewy box in Anaheim, I’ll pay more to buy locally next time and go to the damn store.
10. Don’t get excited, Big Biz haters. When I say local, I am talking about PetCo and PetSmart, not a mom and pop operation cooking up vats of kitty casserole in the kitchen. And I don’t want to hear about making pet food myself ~ even the vet said he doesn’t do it because it’s really complicated to get the exact perfect amino acid mix, and he doesn’t have time. Honestly, idk how cats ever survive in the wild; I guess little mousies have the perfect blend of amino acids for them. Nice of the mice to be such a convenient kitty food source.
11. On Tuesday, I planned to ask one of my coworkers to call my cell phone to see if it would ring when it’s an unknown number. (I unchecked the box that sends the unknowns to voicemail immediately, but I don’t trust it.) We were so busy at work though that I didn’t get the chance to bug someone. Naturally, at the peak of busy, my workstation stopped connecting to the main printer, so I had to restart everything. WHY DON’T THINGS WORK RIGHT?
12. Tuesday afternoon (cue the Moody Blues song) an alert from FedEx popped up on my phone. I instantly flew into a rage, but when I opened it, all it said was that they had delivered my Chewy box. There was a pic of it at my door. They had never buzzed or called! How did they magically get in on the third attempt? Welp, I suppose there are several possibilities, such as the door being opened by someone else. Whatever.
13. On a completely separate note (but not really), on Tuesday I contacted Spectrum to complain about their price increase, and they generously offered me a new and better internet plan for $15 less per month. (Yes, I managed to text with Spectrum while busy.) After I agreed, they said they were sending a new router and modem, and I had to return the old ones. Wednesday I received an alert that the Spectrum package is out for delivery. By fucking FedEx. Just kill me now.

In view of point 10, have you looked into whether there are any local companies that offer regular deliveries of mice? It might be cheaper and your cat will get a bit of exercise chasing dinner.
ReplyDeleteGot to love how delivery companies these days leave packages outside your door so that any random person can just come by and wander off with them. Luckily my own front door is in a location which would make it a bit difficult to do that (it sounds like yours is the same), but I've never been comfortable with it.
I LOVE your first suggestion, brilliant, clever, and reminds me of when The Grandson Raised Reptiles and I'd have to go Buy Bugs for the Bearded Dragon to eat! While simultaneously hiring an Exterminator on Retainer... it was Crazy.
DeleteMouse to House! Love it! I have had good luck with packages not being stolen… hopefully that will continue 🤞🏻
DeleteI have that 'silent phone' problem periodically - tech sites tell me I should turn airplane mode on, wait a minute or two and turn it back off - it worked. Something about re-setting connections. Barring that the old "turn it off, then re-start' seems to work. FedEx sucks - happily I live in a building with a 24/7 concierge who accepts/signs for all deliveries and often convinces the delivery people to deliver large/heavy packages directly to apartments (I live in a rather large building with 249 apartments.) FedEx is notorious for just throwing packages in the general direction of the house and never getting out of the truck.
ReplyDeleteYep, off and on usually works. Airplane mode is a neat idea too, thanks!
DeleteHopefully, the person you talked to at FedEx got a message through to the driver and you won't need to make another trip to Anaheim. FedEx, DHL, UPS, etc. don't work well at all in Norway. They all seem to want to deliver to businesses during office hours. Norway's good ol' postal service gets the job done without issue.
ReplyDeleteThanks for the good wishes ~ they worked and everything arrived! Sorry about Norway. One downside to paradise?
Delete😂 The real downside to this paradise is that Bergen, Norway, has so far had the rainiest August since 1983. Summer weather must've used FedEx in Europe for 2026 because the deliveries are all wrong everywhere.
DeleteNumber 13 made me laugh out loud! 😭 Of course Spectrum is shipping the new equipment via FedEx—because the universe clearly has a twisted sense of humor, Paula! Glad Inky finally got his Chewy box, but what a nightmare of gate codes, silent phones, and printer glitches. Fingers crossed the router driver actually knows how to use a doorbell!
ReplyDeleteThank you! Your good wishes worked! 😀
DeleteWell, at least you Warned us it wasn't a Happy Thoughts and Unicorn Farts kind of Post. *Winks* Isn't Blog Venting Wonderful? And so much Cheaper than Therapy. I've somehow kept many Cats Alive without any thought to their Amino Acids, but, to be Fair, most were Working Cats and not spoiled rotten like our Eli, the House Cat, who is not a Worker, by any stretch of the Imagination, and who knows if his Amino Acids are in balance or not? *LOL* If I had to monitor all that I think we'd just be having Cat Funerals. He likes his Sheba and every once in a while he'll tolerate Fancy Feast, but he's particular about what Flavors he likes best... he's a Pescatarian kind of Cat apparently as the Seafood is his favorite and he's not so fond of other four legged Animals to eat in his Wet Food. The cheaper the Kibbles the more he likes the Dry stuff, he threw up the expensive "Health" conscious Dry Cat Foods so I don't have to worry about taking out a Loan to keep him in Kibbles. I get notifications from Chewy coz The Grandsons use it for Pit Bull Tyson, he's delicate like a little Flower, most Pit Bulls actually are very Fragile in Health apparently... who knew, they look big and powerful. I think in part tho' The Grandsons make up what they think he can't eat coz I've fed it to him and he's still Alive and he liked it... Dog Food, but not the high end Brands they swear by and will Sell a Kidney to be able to afford for him. *Ha ha haa*
ReplyDeleteInky’s a cheap date and would eat Meow Mix 24/7 if I let her, but I am trying to do what the vet recommends. I still feel guilty that I didn’t try harder to get Gatsby to eat wet food. Oh well. Yes, I do love a feisty blog rant!
DeleteNice to know that they didn't actually try to deliver the first time. There have been a couple times when I got notification that I was not home for them to deliver something, but someone was home and/or it's a gated condo complex, so they can leave things at the door or in the mail room. Sigh. Hopefully your next FedEx delivery will go smoothly. (Although Spectrum? I'm so sorry.)
ReplyDeleteYeah, I wish we had a central location/ mailroom. Everything did arrive… now I have to deal with setting it up 😜
DeleteJamie here: Glad to see you participating in the Thursday 13. I like your donut graphic.
ReplyDeleteThanks Jamie!
DeleteOMG, technology can be so damn frustrating. FEDEX pisses me off, too. I sent two boxes via them to my DIL in Canada, and only one made it there. FEDEX had ripped off or lost the customs papers. So, we resent it. It ended up on my porch, not in Canada. AGAIN. So, i fucking took it back to the shipping place and we changed it to UPS. FEDEX is full of idiots.
ReplyDelete😡😡😡
Delete