![]() |
| Image from Unsplash |
One of the topics in John Holton’s Writer’s Workshop this week is a new obsession, which oddly enough for me is exercise. Throughout the day I imagine which Leslie Sansone video routine I will choose that night and go over the different ones in my mind. (Sometimes on weekends I exercise earlier in the day if I have plans in the evening.) In the past, I obsessed over all kinds of unhealthy things, and I never would have guessed that in my 60s I would come to love aerobics. It’s not just the routines though ~ I think about Leslie herself a lot and her jokey banter with the other exercisers in the vids. I catch myself using her terminology at random times too.
I’ve mentioned this previously, but in the context of trying to be healthier. I don’t know if I’m healthier now that I’ve been working out consistently since June 1, but you would think so, right? While my cholesterol is the same (too high), my blood pressure is always in the “green zone” lately. My weight is unchanged, and I don’t look any fitter. Back in the old days, the fact that I didn’t appear to have lost any flab would have caused me to lose motivation to continue to work out, but that hasn’t happened. It’s the opposite actually: if I think that I might not have time to exercise on a particular day, I get anxious about it. Plus, I never say to myself that I’m too tired to do it or use any other excuse.
So weird!
I have discovered a few subtle changes (improvements) in myself since June 1. While my neck and back are as achy as they’ve been for decades, I find I can move more easily, from getting out of bed to turning my head in the car. I used to get tired after 20 minutes of light exercise, but now I can do 30 minutes to an hour with no problem. Even though it’s the bad migraine time of year, and I’m still getting some, they aren’t as frequent. I may have said this already, sorry. I can’t be bothered looking it up because I’m writing this on my phone while rewatching The Sopranos (for probably the fourth time).
What’s interesting to me (and possibly to you if you’re still reading) is that while my range of motion seems to be larger, my range of emotion has slightly narrowed. This is a good thing! I attribute it to the daily workouts mellowing me out. When I’m exercising, my mind is focused on what I’m doing and not going off into the weeds of work stress or whatever other thing. It’s kind of like the chilled out feeling I experience while doing a puzzle or playing an intense board game, except that the workout endorphins or whatever last all day now. Or somewhat anyway. Generally, I exercise at night, and the relaxedness lasts through the next 24 hours, which is also why I try not to skip a day. It’s so great!
Hey, I’m not going to pretend that my mood stays all sweetness and delight 100% of the time. Of course not. I’m still me. But my reactions to normal bumps in the road of life aren’t so extreme and upsetting lately. It’s a small difference, but I’ll take it.
I only wish I had started exercising regularly sooner.

Finding an exercise regime that you can live with is the key. I'm guessing eventually you will see a change in your body but you are already feeling the benefits of just plain moving. I'm an exercise 'snacker' (I'm also 80 and retired) - even when I'm sitting I'm moving as I type this I am doing front toe taps - there is always an opportunity to get some exercise in - counter push-ups/climbers while I'm waiting for the microwave, light hand weights for bicep curls etc while I'm watching tv - there is always some kind of structured move you can do while doing something else. This is what works for me - and you've found what works for you!
ReplyDeleteThat's so great, Grace! I just read that it's important to move your feet, flex your calves, etc., while sitting for a while in order to get the best blood flow back to your heart.
DeleteYes that is super important and really easy to do sitting at your desk - I've read that they call calves your 'second' heart. I automatically start doing ankle raises as soon as I sit.
DeleteI'm only going to address the exercise thing. It's not really about numbers, though those are a good indication that there are changes happening. After a certain age (not saying what that might be), we need to keep moving in order to keep what we have! I like to think of it as keeping the wheels greased! I've been working out steadily, either at the gym or at home, since 2015, and I"m hoping it's kept me ahead of the game. I still get aches and pains and have suffered from sciatica, but I can still see muscle definition in my arms and legs, and I want to keep that. - N
ReplyDeleteThat's awesome, N! Keeping our aches at their current level without getting worse is a worthy goal in itself.
DeleteGood going, Paula! And how nice to find something that is rewarding! I realized I can't do an exercise routine. So I started doing just one thing and I've kept it up for almost three weeks: Push-ups. Graduated from wall push-ups to countertop push-ups this week and loving the progress!
ReplyDeleteThat's great, Keera! Whatever works is the key. I kept trying to go to gyms, but it's just not my thing...
DeleteNot my thing, either, so finding something at home is key.
DeleteHuge kudos to you, Paula! Building a routine where you genuinely look forward to working out instead of dreading it is the ultimate health victory.
ReplyDeleteThat expanded physical mobility paired with a calmer, more grounded emotional baseline is proof positive that it's working. The endorphin carryover is real! Keep walking strong with Leslie!
Thanks so much!
DeleteGreat title for your post :). Seriously, I really like plays on words... and letters! How neat that you've found an exercise regime that you like and that is definitely having positive mental and physical impacts on you. I started a very low key arm exercise regime over the summer. (I run and walk and have for years so I am fit leg movement wise but my arms were very weak and flabby.) Sometimes I think I can see bicep definition but I think it's wishful thinking. However, I know I've gotten a little stronger which is super encouraging. Keep up the good work; I will be trying to as well :).
ReplyDeleteAww, I'm glad someone noticed that, Maria! Good going with your running/walking. That's fabulous!
DeleteInteresting how it's effected your mood. It sounds like it's helping even if you aren't losing any weight (although you might eventually).
ReplyDeleteI will take it as a win :)
DeleteThis reminds me: I need to pick up on my exercises. And good that you're better off now.
ReplyDeleteThank you!
DeleteExercise is a great thing to actually want to do. It has a wide range of known benefits, including mental ones. Even if you aren't losing weight (maybe you don't need to?), it sounds like you're seeing a lot of other benefits.
ReplyDeleteThanks! Yes, I am definitely seeing some benefits :)
Delete