Tuesday, August 25, 2026

The One Who Knocks

AI generated image 


Tony stared at his SUV, which was loaded down with his stuff. Where would he go? He supposed he would have to stay with his mom until he found a new place. “Just one more chance?” he asked.

Mitch shook his head. “No can do, Tony. There have been too many complaints.”

“I was just expressing my feelings!” Tony cried. “And I think Dawn likes me too. She’s just shy.”

“Tony, you kept banging on the pipes. Your neighbors couldn’t get any sleep. They have a baby.”

Tony sighed. Mitch did have a point there. “OK, but when I simply stood outside quietly holding a sign I wasn’t bothering anyone.”

“You were there all night,” Mitch reminded him. “The police asked me what was going on. I can’t have that, Tony. This is an upscale place.”

“I think Dawn was starting to fall for me though,” Tony insisted. “She kept playing that love song as I knocked on the floor in Morse code. It was only a matter of time before she knocked back.”

“Dawn was the one who called the police.” Mitch held out his hand.

Tony realized that he was at a dead end. Reluctantly, he handed over the key.

~*~

Written for Fandango’s Story Starter 261 and inspired by the Tony Orlando and Dawn song “Knock Three Times.” Title inspired by a Breaking Bad episode.

11 comments:

  1. Tony seems to have a critical lack of awareness of how his behavior affects others. I have known a few Tonys in my life, sadly. Great take, Paula. Thanks for joining in.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dude sounds problematic. So many songs end up being about problematic dudes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right? I intend to expose more of them! 😂

      Delete
  3. From the title, I had the idea that you were referring to Walter White "the one who knocks." LOL. - N

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehe, I am ready for a rewatch. Currently, I’m on a Sopranos rewatch. Loving it!

      Delete
  4. The plots of rom-coms do not carry over into real life, Tony.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That’s the thing about so many “romantic” behaviors in fiction. In reality, they can be really creepy!

      Delete
  5. I like it. When I read the song, Knock Three Times, I smiled because it all made sense. I like how you put that together.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mitch is lucky that Tony didn't try to invoke squatters rights, lol.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting. All comments will be reviewed by me before they go live. If you are anonymous, please choose a consistent handle to sign your words with. I appreciate your understanding that my comment space is not a free speech zone for personal attacks or sales pitches.