Sunday, August 2, 2026

Viking Kittens

Colorful music notes from Pixabay



I’m participating in Jim’s Song Lyric Sunday again this week, and he asks for something from an artist born in August. Robert Anthony Plant was born on August 20, 1948, and he is approaching his 78th birthday. From 1968 to 1980, he was the lead singer of the rock band Led Zeppelin. Perhaps you've heard of them? Plant had a successful solo career as well. Despite his advanced age, Plant is still touring, as are a lot of 70-something rockers, and he has a bunch of concerts scheduled here in California at the end of September/ early October. His new album is called Saving Grace, but I confess I haven't heard any tracks from it because I prefer to go straight back to old Led Zep tunes.

There are a ton of songs I love from the band, and I'm going to share one of my favorites today. Now, it's almost always the case that I choose favorites because of the quality of the lyrics, but in this case the lyrics are secondary to... the video. Yep. I think you can guess from the title of this post that I'm talking about the "Immigrant Song."

We come from the land of the ice and snow
From the midnight sun where the hot springs flow
The hammer of the gods
Will drive our ships to new lands
To fight the horde, sing and cry
Valhalla, I am coming

Plant allegedly wrote this 1970 hit as a joke while traveling to Iceland and fantasizing about the Viking conquest. It makes sense that he was riffing when you examine the lyrics. (Jimmy Page is also credited as a writer on the song.)

We come from the land of the ice and snow
From the midnight sun where the hot springs flow
How soft your fields so green
Can whisper tales of gore
Of how we calmed the tides of war
We are your overlords

Given that, it follows that the video I'm sharing is a joke too, and who better to be cute and funny than kitties?! Usually, I don't embed videos, but I am making an exception for this one. Enjoy!

4 comments:

  1. I love this track Paula and the video is brilliant thanks for sharing 😃

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fabulous choice! Huge Plant/Zep fan here and I love this funny cat viking video. Thanks for going with an epic song featuring the incredible voice of Robert Plant. Aces!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not really a connoisseur of Led Zeppelin, but both song and video are great!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting. All comments will be reviewed by me before they go live. If you are anonymous, please choose a consistent handle to sign your words with. I appreciate your understanding that my comment space is not a free speech zone for personal attacks or sales pitches.