![]() |
| Older painting by my daughter Diane |
I’m participating in Joyce’s Hodgepodge this week by responding to the following questions.
1. What’s something you wanted to do this summer that you never got around to doing?
I planned to paint and bought new canvases. (I have a ton of painting supplies already.) As some of you may know, I used to follow Cinnamon Cooney aka the Art Sherpa for painting inspiration, but she passed away in December 2024 (age 54), and now I find inspiration from various other sources. I saved a bunch of ideas that appealed to me, and yet I never painted anything. When I had time, the mood just wasn’t there, and I can’t force it. Same goes for writing fiction or poetry.
2. Were you the student who sat in the front row or hid in the back of the class? If you could go back and take one high school class again just for fun, which would it be?
From the answers I’ve seen so far, it appears that those who loved school and were good students sat in the front. As usual, I’m different. While I enjoyed the learning aspect of school, though not the social, and I was a fabulous student grade-wise, I never sat in the front if I had a choice. My preference in any situation is to sit in the back, at the end of a row, and near a door if possible.
I would love to retake geometry (my favorite math class) and then immediately go on to retake more math and hopefully be able to go beyond where I stopped in college (advanced calculus) into theoretical math. That would be so cool! Assuming my old brain could handle it.
3. What characteristics do you think are essential in a good teacher (this can be applied to anyone who teaches, not just classroom teachers)?
Good communication skills, kindness, patience, humor, and a flexible attitude toward unexpected glitches.
4. September 2 is National Grits Day. Have you ever eaten grits? Are you a fan? If so, how do you like yours? Would people describe you as “having grit?”
I don’t think I have ever had grits, and I’m not sure what they are. Like couscous or cream of wheat? If so, I would probably like them.
I don’t know how people would describe me. Whether I have grit (courage, bravery, fortitude, determination) is dependent upon the situation. Mostly not, I think.
5. What’s something you’re never too old or too young to enjoy?
Birthday cake, music, a soft cozy blanket, the soothing sound of rain or waves, and a snuggly puppy.
6. Insert your own random thought here.
“Kiss my grits!” is a phrase that the waitress character Flo used in the TV show Alice. She was played by Polly Holliday, who passed away in September 2025 at age 88. The title character was played by Linda Lavin, who died in December 2024 at age 87. The older I get, the more aware I am of people dying and their age at death. I guess that’s only natural as we face our own mortality.

I love cheese grits with little bits of cooked sausage or bacon in them. I never had grits until we lived in northwest FL (aka Florabama) and my first taste was with only a pat of butter and some pepper on it. Meh. Once I had the cheese grits, I was sold, and now I love shrimp and grits, too. Never kissed 'em though. I also appreciated geometry, but not until high school, and the excellent teacher I had. I was surprised to win the award for geometry in 10th grade at the year-end assembly. But this never carried over to a general love of math.
ReplyDeleteFinally, the painting. I hear ya. I had plans and bought a new pad of watercolor papers. Have I done any painting over the summer? NOPE. - N