Tuesday, September 1, 2026

Summer’s End

Dandelion from Pixabay



September showers
Signal the end of summer 
Rainy grey mornings 
Memories already mist
All the projects left undone 

~ Summer’s lease hath all too short a date ~ *

October beckons
Costumes and candy galore
Dreams dissolve daily
Floating fast into the past 
Replaced by holiday plans 

*William Shakespeare, Sonnet 18

~*~

Tanka puente written for the Tanka Tuesday Poetry Challenge (with alliteration).

15 comments:

  1. A terrific two-tanka sandwich with wonderful Willy filling! Salute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, its laready Septemebr? My head is still in May! LOL loved your Tanka, Paula! Well done! 🧑

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ok, old eyes here but I honestly thought at first that it was WS who wrote the lines beginning with. "October beckons..." And I was like, "kids wore costumes and went trick or treating back then?" And then I looked more closely and realized that YOU wrote the lines and you starred a quote by WS. I do like the words that YOU wrote!! WS's words are ok, lol!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Brilliant tanka puente for the season πŸ‚

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, this is gorgeous, Paula!πŸ’—

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like that. October cannot come soon enough.

    ReplyDelete
  7. A hopeful and heartening poetic piece, beautifully written. Yes, we have survived another tribulation of heat and glare, and can now look forward to the cooler and moister times. What matter the projects left undone when October beckons just one more month away?

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is wonderful. Thank you for joining the challenge. Robbie

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely summary of the changing seasons! And Shakespeare was right: Summer is too short, especially where I live since we had record rain.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Bring it on! I'm so ready for Autumn!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is fabulous, Paula. I love the tanka Puente and you've given autumn vibes I can't wait to get here!! 🧑

    ReplyDelete
  12. These are my feelings too for this time of year. You have read my mind. a beautiful poem πŸ’œ

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting. All comments will be reviewed by me before they go live. If you are anonymous, please choose a consistent handle to sign your words with. I appreciate your understanding that my comment space is not a free speech zone for personal attacks or sales pitches.