![]() |
| Pondering life’s great mysteries ~ 1989 |
Or is it the other way ‘round?
Can logic douse our passion’s fire?
Reason triumphs over desire:
So we think as mammals higher;
Don’t want to be emotion bound.
Reason triumphs over desire—
Or is it the other way ‘round?
~*~
This quadrille triolet poem was inspired by Linda’s SoCS prompt of reason, though this post isn’t stream of consciousness. Unlike some poems however, it wasn't a struggle to get the rhymes or the wordcount (and in my world, these QT's must have 8 syllables per line because I like to make my own life difficult). As I was dealing with a migraine early this morning, the lines materialized in my mind while I was throwing up in the bathroom (TMI?). It’s been a tough week for my poor head in the heat wave, which thankfully has finally broken. No matter how well-behaved my migraines are in summer (and they were very polite this year), September weather triggers them unmercifully. That’s my reason/ excuse for failing to blog this week, though in truth if I had really wanted to, I would have. Confession: I returned to bingeing The Sopranos every night after work and am now at the end of S4. It’s such a good show!
Today I am getting my flu shot and updated Covid vax, which I encourage everyone to do, especially oldies like myself. The flu absolutely sucks when you're older; hell, even a cold is horrible. When I was a teen, colds were no big deal and barely impacted my lifestyle, such as it was, but now they totally mess me up for a full week plus. Ah, the joys of aging. Guess it still beats the alternative.

I'm sorry the migraine got you. The heat was unrelenting. I wondered about the symptoms of heat stroke on Wednesday. (Car with a barely functioning a/c. It was brutal.)
ReplyDeleteMigraines are awful! Hope you're feeling better now. My younger self let desire triumph over reason many times, but one gets wiser with age. ☺ Love The Sopranos! Thanks for the vaccine reminder.
ReplyDeleteI can relate to your poem. Reason triumphs over desire, ideally, but sometimes it goes the other way around. May your reason and desire work together for moments of joy and peace and your migraines be light and far apart. I love the old photo. :)
ReplyDeleteSorry, I keep forgetting to identify myself! like in the comment above!
ReplyDelete