![]() |
| Two ducks in Los Angeles (my photo) |
I haven’t been reading much lately. Just not in the mood, I guess, plus I began several books that went quickly to the DNF pile. As I’ve mentioned, I’m really tired of the same-old thrillers and romances. I did finish two so far this month though, which I will review here (actually I will C&P from my Goodreads’ reviews).
1. Wildflower by Drew Barrymore. Very enjoyable read. I read it in small batches to get the maximum effect. Drew has a very entertaining narrative voice and seems natural and unedited (though I assume the book was, at least a little). Her mood alternates between focused and scattered, but she’s always exuberant, which makes even the more ordinary chapters fun. She’s definitely an interesting person with an amazing work ethic. Four stars for this memoir.
2. Where the Sea Lavender Grows by Kitty Johnson. Interesting mystery with romantic and supernatural elements. The characters are well-developed and relatable, especially Elise and Lilias. Though the setting swings back and forth chronologically, the chapters are separate so there’s no confusion. While the story is full of tragedy, it is ultimately an affirmation of life and love. And doggies. Four stars.
I am still a few books ahead of my goal, pace-wise, but I need to get going if I want to hit 125 by December 31. Today I am at 93 for the year.

No comments:
Post a Comment
Thanks for visiting. All comments will be reviewed by me before they go live. If you are anonymous, please choose a consistent handle to sign your words with. I appreciate your understanding that my comment space is not a free speech zone for personal attacks or sales pitches.